Batch Rename allows you to quickly rename several files or folders.
To use Batch Rename:
- Choose several files or folders by pressing and holding Shift Key and selecting them
- Go to menu Commands > Batch Rename. The Batch Rename window appears
- You have following options: Replace Text, Replace RegEx, Insert Text, Change Case, Add a Number Sequence, Add Date
- Enter the criteria you would like to change – note that the preview of your new file names appear at the right.
- To make the previewed file name final – press Rename.
You can create building blocks by adding multiple steps to the rename process. If for example you need to replace text within the legacy name as well as add a date to it: click the “+” button at the top right hand corner of the text entry window and a new section with options will appear at the bottom.
To save the renaming sequence, click “Save Renaming Sequence” button at the bottom left corner of the Batch Rename window.
You can always “Undo” the Rename action by choosing the menu Edit > Undo Rename.
Batch Rename options
By clicking the dropdown with Replace Text selected, following options appear:
|1. Enter the old text into the “Replace Text” field
2. Enter new text that you want the filenames to have in the “with text” field
|Same as above, however allows to use the regular expression syntax to make the modifications
|Inserts text either at the beginning, end or within the existing file name. Use the Position value to determine how far from the front/back of the name you wish to insert the text.
|Allows you to change the case to all upper, all lower, or mixed. Can be applied to the name, or the extension or both
|Add Number Sequence
|Allows to add leading or trailing numbers to each file name.
The Padding value allows you to change how many leading zeros are prepended.
Position defines how far along the filename the numbers are added
Start Value defines the first number to be added
Step Value defines the increments for the numbers
|Allows to add either creation date or modification date to each file. The format can be changed to a format of your choosing