update menubar icon

dengosha

06 Dec, 2012 10:23 AM

Path Finder is showing the icon for Path Finder 5 in the menubar even though I am running Path Finder 6. I want to update the menubar icon (favicon) to the new icon for Path Finder. How do I do this?

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 06 Dec, 2012 10:39 PM

Check Path Finder's Contents > Resources and change the icon to one you like. If it it's not there then it must be hardcoded into the app. Cheers.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 06 Dec, 2012 10:39 PM.

3. dengosha re-opened this discussion on 07 Dec, 2012 05:03 PM

4. 2 Posted by dengosha on 07 Dec, 2012 05:03 PM

The procedure you recommended did not work. Is there some trick to dragging a new ICN or png file to the menubar? I tried by holding down command but that didn't work. Also used some apps that let one add and rearrange the menubar--but still no luck. The old icon is driving me crazy. When I had a trial of Path Finder 6 everything was ok. I then tried the 5 version and now I am stuck with the old icon. Help I am a very finicky person and hate and sweat over the small details--someone at Cocoatech must know how to solve the problem. PS I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but still to no avail.
    Dennis

5. 3 Posted by Tom on 19 Dec, 2012 01:18 AM

Hi Dennis,

The best option here is to delete and reinstall Path Finder 6. You will need to re-enter your license information after reinstalling, so make sure to keep it on hand. I realize that you mentioned you tried it already, but I just wanted to make sure you uninstalled PF6 completely. It might also help to perform these same steps if you still have version 5 on your machine.

There are 2 steps to take when deleting Path Finder 6, I'll guide you through both.

First, find the Path Finder 6 app, and drag it to the Trash.

Next, you'll need to find the Preferences file for PF6. To do so you need to access your library file. Click on the Go dropdown menu in the regular Finder, if you do not see Library listed, hold down the Option key and it will show up. Once the Library is open, go to Application Support and delete the entire Path Finder file.

After both files are in the Trash, make sure to Empty the Trash, then Restart.

Finally, redownload and reinstall Path Finder 6-(www.cocoatech.com). Enter your license information and you should be all set!

Let me know how that works.

6. Tom closed this discussion on 19 Dec, 2012 01:18 AM.

7. dengosha re-opened this discussion on 21 Dec, 2012 04:13 PM

8. 4 Posted by dengosha on 21 Dec, 2012 04:13 PM

Hi Tom:
    I did as you suggested--I used Appcleaner to get rid of all the files, downloaded, reinstalled. The version 5 icon has now disappeared from the menubar and in fact no icon is showing at all for Pathfinder in the menubar.
    A little inconvenient for accessing all the features and menu items of Pathfinder.
    I don't know if there is a solution for getting the icon onto the menubar--have tried using Candybar, Menubar Rearranger--and others but to no avail.
    Dennis
    On Dec 18, 2012, at 7:18 PM, Tom wrote:

> From: Tom (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: update menubar icon
    >
    > Hi Dennis,
    >
    > The best option here is to delete and reinstall Path Finder 6. You will need to re-enter your license information after reinstalling, so make sure to keep it on hand. I realize that you mentioned you tried it already, but I just wanted to make sure you uninstalled PF6 completely. It might also help to perform these same steps if you still have version 5 on your machine.
    >
    > There are 2 steps to take when deleting Path Finder 6, I'll guide you through both.
    >
    > First, find the Path Finder 6 app, and drag it to the Trash.
    >
    > Next, you'll need to find the Preferences file for PF6. To do so you need to access your library file. Click on the Go dropdown menu in the regular Finder, if you do not see Library listed, hold down the Option key and it will show up. Once the Library is open, go to Application Support and delete the entire Path Finder file.
    >
    > After both files are in the Trash, make sure to Empty the Trash, then Restart.
    >
    > Finally, redownload and reinstall Path Finder 6-(www.cocoatech.com). Enter your license information and you should be all set!
    >
    > Let me know how that works.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/9904-update-menubar-icon
    > To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://support.cocoatech.com, visit
    > http://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/b6b4c77d5705e020a49fbd15d7954a06472c3d1d
    >
    >

9. 5 Posted by dengosha on 21 Dec, 2012 04:39 PM

PS: I checked off show icon in menubar in Pathfinder preferences.

Hi Tom:
    I did as you suggested--I used Appcleaner to get rid of all the files, downloaded, reinstalled. The version 5 icon has now disappeared from the menubar and in fact no icon is showing at all for Pathfinder in the menubar.
    A little inconvenient for accessing all the features and menu items of Pathfinder.
    I don't know if there is a solution for getting the icon onto the menubar--have tried using Candybar, Menubar Rearranger--and others but to no avail.
    Dennis

>
    > Hi Dennis,
    >
    > The best option here is to delete and reinstall Path Finder 6. You will need to re-enter your license information after reinstalling, so make sure to keep it on hand. I realize that you mentioned you tried it already, but I just wanted to make sure you uninstalled PF6 completely. It might also help to perform these same steps if you still have version 5 on your machine.
    >
    > There are 2 steps to take when deleting Path Finder 6, I'll guide you through both.
    >
    >
    > Next, you'll need to find the Preferences file for PF6. To do so you need to access your library file. Click on the Go dropdown menu in the regular Finder, if you do not see Library listed, hold down the Option key and it will show up. Once the Library is open, go to Application Support and delete the entire Path Finder file.
    >
    > After both files are in the Trash, make sure to Empty the Trash, then Restart.
    >
    > Finally, redownload and reinstall Path Finder 6-(www.cocoatech.com). Enter your license information and you should be all set!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/9904-update-menubar-icon
    > To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from http://support.cocoatech.com, visit
    > http://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/b6b4c77d5705e020a49fbd15d7954a06472c3d1d
    >
    >

10. 6 Posted by dengosha on 26 Dec, 2012 04:01 PM

The icon for version 5 suddenly reappeared after a quit and restart--where can I find the place where this icon is stored so I can update it there in the file?

PS: I checked off show icon in menubar in Pathfinder preferences.

Hi Tom:
    Dennis

>
    > Hi Dennis,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

11. Tom closed this discussion on 03 Jan, 2013 12:42 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac