Shared section in sidebar

edc45acp

04 Dec, 2012 10:02 AM

In PF 5 with Lion OS X Path Finder always showed the Shared section in the sidebar and displayed all my Windows computers long before they showed in Finder. Now with PF 6 and Mt Lion the shared section doesn't even show up in the sidebar even if I mount a share in finder first. Yes I get the drive I have mounted from the one of the shared Win computers but that shows in the Devices area not in the Shared area.

This is a Step backwards. I want to see all the computers on my LAN in the Shared section even if I have not mounted and of the drives from those Windows computers. And Yes Shared is Unchecked in the Hide Section options.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 04 Dec, 2012 10:55 AM

Hi. Please read this article on SMB shares and Lion.

2. 2 Posted by edc45acp on 04 Dec, 2012 11:04 AM

Thanks and yes I read that BUT why in PF 5 with Lion, from back in January when I bought PF 5, the Shared section always showed along with any Windows computers that were turned on under the shared section.

Now it doesn't. Should I remove PF 6 and reinstall PF 5? Then maybe update again?

This is a bug AFAIS. OS X still included SMB (Samba) shares. They show in finder, in the Shared section.

Thanks anyway.

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 04 Dec, 2012 11:20 AM

My guesses are that v6 removed some of the v5 code and Finder has privileged access on some OS X frameworks (SMB, AirDrop, Open in 32bit, etc.).

You can run v5 alongside v6 (from different folders or different user accounts) to test it.
    You can also try to uninstall and re-install v6.

4. 4 Posted by edc45acp on 04 Dec, 2012 11:24 AM

Uninstalled and reinstalled. Erased my drive and loaded an older TM backup. No change.

I will try installing V5 in another location. That is if I still have the V5 DMG or I can download it from somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

5. 5 Posted by Damazio on 04 Dec, 2012 11:28 AM

You can download it here.

6. 6 Posted by edc45acp on 04 Dec, 2012 11:39 AM

Well I found V5 on one of my Windows PCs. Backup of my Mac software downloads.
    I installed it and when first opening it it showed the Shared section with the Win PCs that are turned on then shortly after that disappeared. So It looks like it is something in V6 that is causing this problem, No I didn't uninstall V6 first. If I get the chance I will Wipe my drive and reinstall Lion and PF5. Or do it on an external.

7. Tom closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2013 04:13 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac