Files arent loading as quickly

tom

29 Nov, 2012 10:39 AM

When I browse to a folder the files dont appear as quickly as they did a few days ago. The folder hangs for a few seconds and can be longer before it loads the files. Do you know why this is?

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 29 Nov, 2012 01:57 PM

Tom, we're gonna need more information to figure it out.

• Is it a local or remote volume?
    • How many files are in the folder?
    • Are they multiple file types or mostly images, videos, etc.?
  2. 2 Posted by tom on 29 Nov, 2012 02:09 PM

It is a local volume (google drive synced on my local machine), varies from a large amount of files to only a small amount. They are word, email, pdf, xls files generally...

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 29 Nov, 2012 02:42 PM

If it's a sync drive, then it's not a regular local folder (it can be a local folder but it's under the strain of syncing remote connections). I think Google Drive connects by WebDav and there can be delays when accessing it. First rule is to try it in Finder or in a FTP manager for a while to isolate the problem and find out if it's specifically related to Path Finder.

I'm sure you don't get this kind of delay on a real local folder such as your Library folder, for example.

4. 4 Posted by tom on 29 Nov, 2012 03:33 PM

thanks for the reply. it used to be instant on pathfinder up until a day or 2 ago and now its stopped. i went into pathfinder preferences but cant remember what i changed.

5. 5 Posted by Damazio on 29 Nov, 2012 04:29 PM

I can't think of anything in the Preferences that might influence loading time.
    Have you changed something in View > Show View Options, like enable Calculate all sizes or enable Icon previews?

6. 6 Posted by tom on 29 Nov, 2012 04:33 PM

no i havent enabled icon previews and calculate all sizes doesnt appear in view options. so frustrating.

7. 7 Posted by Damazio on 29 Nov, 2012 04:35 PM

What about access through Finder, as I mentioned?

8. 8 Posted by tom on 29 Nov, 2012 05:01 PM

hi, finder works as normal and loads the files quickly.

9. 9 Posted by Damazio on 29 Nov, 2012 07:31 PM

Well, I can't really test it but from researching I found Goggle's official client is the worst of the bunch. I also found many complains about the slow sync speed and CPU hogging when using the official app.

Try to reboot and check again. If PF still lags behind Finder, I'll submit a ticket to be reviewed by the devs.

10. 10 Posted by tom on 30 Nov, 2012 11:39 AM

Hi thanks for the message. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling pathfinder and i have tried rebooting my mac but nothing has changed. Please do submit a ticket as suggested.

11. 11 Posted by Damazio on 30 Nov, 2012 06:52 PM

Ticket submitted (nr. 207). We'll re-open this discussion when it's reviewed by the devs, Tom.

12. Damazio closed this discussion on 30 Nov, 2012 06:52 PM.

13. tom re-opened this discussion on 03 Dec, 2012 10:03 AM

14. 12 Posted by tom on 03 Dec, 2012 10:03 AM

Ok thanks, just to note that its not just googledrive folders, i have sugarsync folders which are hanging before the files appear and local folders are doing the same. wait to hear from you! thank you.

15. 13 Posted by tom on 04 Dec, 2012 02:08 PM

Just to confirm that the problem is now getting so frustrating that I am reverting back to using finder! Please help.

16. 14 Posted by Damazio on 04 Dec, 2012 03:14 PM

Tom, try to create a new user in System Preferences, install PF there and see if you get the same behavior. It's normal to get a delay on remote but not on local folders.

17. Support Staff 15 Posted by Dragan on 10 Dec, 2012 04:47 PM

Tom, try this: as Path Finder "hangs" to show folder contents, make a sample of its process (Open Activity Monitor, select running Path Finder and select Sample Process from the View menu (or use the toolbar item of the same name) and send the sample to us.

18. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac