problems with Find not showing all files

mx180

26 Nov, 2012 01:07 PM

Hi, I have a problem with the Find window not finding / showing all relevant content, even though the files definitely are indexed correctly in Spotlight, because Spotlight does locate all the files that match. This happens both when I'm searching by file name, and also by file content.

I'm attaching images that show what I mean, first a search for info in the filename, then a search for content (Pathfinder on the left, obviously, Spotlight on the right). In both cases I've limited searching to a folder where I eventually figured out the content exists by having to manually open every file and search for it -- then I figured out that it was a Pathfinder issue, and that Spotlight found it.

If I Find on Home or Computer, same issue exists (Pathfinder only finds some of the files, Spotlight finds all). I've blurred out some private info. on the names (just alpha characters) but would be happy to email you more rather than posting it, if you need additional tests / to see everything.

Note that I did delete and rebuild my Spotlight index fairly recently, shortly before installing Pathfinder, just as good housekeeping. Thanks. -- registered user

1. 1 Posted by mx180 on 30 Nov, 2012 04:34 AM

Hi, is there anyone reading this?

2. 2 Posted by mx180 on 30 Nov, 2012 06:57 PM

Contents of folder, as you can see, many files with these characters in the name.

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 04 Dec, 2012 11:12 AM

Dragan (dev) has been notified about this thread, mx180. We may delay our responses but we read all discussions, don't worry.

4. 4 Posted by mx180 on 23 Dec, 2012 09:04 PM

Hi, any updates? I'm still having the same problem.

5. 5 Posted by mx180 on 02 Feb, 2013 11:15 PM

Hi, any updates? I'm still have the same problem and it's now been over 60 days since my original post with the only reply being after the first week saying you read it! .As a paid user I'd definitely appreciate you elevating this and letting me know what can be done if anything to fix it / if you need additional info. Basically, Pathfinder's Find functionality is useless, it is hitting on only a subset of files that are indexed in Spotlight (found through Finder's search).

This is true whether I'm searching on Name contains, or Content contains.

6. 6 Posted by mx180 on 02 Feb, 2013 11:25 PM

I've also just tried a HoudahSpot trial and HoudahSpot has no trouble finding all the relevant files.

7. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac