Is it possible to show or hide specific drives on the Path Finder desktop?

Michael Howitz

24 Nov, 2012 02:59 AM

Hello,

I just installed the Path Finder 6 trial. I have become accustomed to my OS hard drive, Mac HD, being hidden. However, I still want my other drives to be displayed on the desktop. Is there a way to select which drives I want to be displayed on the desktop? So far, all I can find is how to show/hide all drives. Other than that, I'm loving the finder.

1. 1 Posted by Michael Howitz on 24 Nov, 2012 03:37 AM

Ok, I was able to find the option to "make invisible" under get info on the icon. Is that the best option for what I wanted? Any reason that will cause any problems anywhere else on the system? Or is that only for the desktop?

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 24 Nov, 2012 03:32 PM

It shouldn't cause any problems but you also won't see them in other apps which don't allow to see hidden items. I suggest you hide all drives in the Desktop View Options and then make aliases of the ones you want to see on the Desktop or Dock. Cheers.

3. Damazio closed this discussion on 24 Nov, 2012 03:32 PM.

4. Michael Howitz re-opened this discussion on 24 Nov, 2012 08:13 PM

5. 3 Posted by Michael Howitz on 24 Nov, 2012 08:13 PM

Damazio,

There is one problem with this solution. I can't tell if the drives are connected or not because even after ejecting the drive, the alias remains. Is there any other option that might give me a clue if the drive is connected or not? I suppose I can just get used to it one way or the other, but this is the one thing that will continue to bother me!

6. 4 Posted by Damazio on 24 Nov, 2012 08:26 PM

Is there any other option that might give me a clue if the drive is connected or not?

Well, Path Finder's Sidebar will show you the connected drives. If that doesn't suit you, I guess your first suggestion is the best. Hide all desktop drives, create an alias to your Mac HD (which is always mounted anyway) in the Sidebar, Desktop or Dock and finally hide it from view in the Get Info.

Alternatively, you can also click on the gear button at the bottom of the Sidebar and hide your Mac HD without having to turn on the invisible flag in Get Info but it won't hide it on the Desktop.

7. Damazio closed this discussion on 27 Nov, 2012 02:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac