Click on windows fails to switch

jcooper11

18 Apr, 2012 04:18 PM

PathFinder6.0.0.0(1232). MacOS 10.6.8.
With multiple programs and windows open, clicking on a window fails to switch the machine's focus to that window.
If in program X, and I click on a window for program Y, I switch to Path Finder, without bringing a Path Finder window to the front. From there, clicking on any window does nothing.
I can switch programs by clicking on the dock icon.
Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 19 Apr, 2012 12:18 AM

Can you take a screencast with QuickTime and show it to us or explain in more detail what is happening?

2. 2 Posted by jcooper11 on 21 Apr, 2012 05:06 PM

Sure. Here you go. Mov file attached.

I am in one program, then click on a window of another program. Instead of moving me to that program and window, I switch to Path Finder. Then, I cannot click any window to get out of Path Finder. I can click on the Dock icon and switch to another program.

Thanks, John

3. 3 Posted by jcooper11 on 23 Apr, 2012 07:53 PM

More on this.
    From within Path Finder, cannot click on any window of any application and have that appilcation or window be active.
    Also, from outside Path Finder, clicking on a Path Finder window activates Path Finder but not the window that was clicked. I have to select it under the Window menu to make it active.
    TIA.

4. 4 Posted by Barry Bridge on 26 Apr, 2012 04:34 AM

I've had this issue for two years now, application switching whether by mouse click in open but backgrounded app window, Command-Tab, dock icon - it just doesn't work reliably. I have to try multiple methods many times to get the app I want active on top. VERY annoying. Doesn't happen on my MacBook Pro, only on my 3.06 GHz iMac Intel Core 2 Duo. Suspect something corrupted that has survived various system upgrades, and various multiple repair attempts with Apple's and others' tools. I'm a Mac (since 84) veteran, as yet no answers... HELP?!

5. 5 Posted by Barry Bridge on 26 Apr, 2012 04:45 AM

Forgot to add - it's likely nothing to do with Path Finder.

6. 6 Posted by Damazio on 28 Apr, 2012 02:16 PM

Upon closer examination, wasn't this a Spaces bug? I thought it was fixed in Snow Leopard. Can you disable Spaces and see if it still happens?

7. 7 Posted by jcooper11 on 28 Apr, 2012 02:24 PM

I do not do Spaces.

John Cooper
    Sent from my iPhone
    314-691-0266
    [email blocked]

8. 8 Posted by Barry Bridge on 28 Apr, 2012 02:32 PM

Like jcooper11, I've never used, or enabled, Spaces, on any of my Macs. My buddy who does Mac Repairs/Tech Support has seen this issue with a few customers. It's pretty annoying... sure I'd like it to go away, but FME I just don't believe it's anything to with Path Finder. I suspect a clean System install would fix it, but... well you know :)

9. 9 Posted by Damazio on 28 Apr, 2012 02:51 PM

Applying Combo Updates on top of the latest one, are also known to fix a couple issues. Worth a try.

10. Damazio closed this discussion on 01 May, 2012 03:29 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac