single folder: sort order and extensions search problem

kopernikus79

15 Nov, 2012 03:02 PM

Hello,

I have two problems with PathFinder I hope you can solve.

1. I try to figure out how to change the sorting order of just one folder, keeping the standard sorting ordner in all other folders. Is that possible?

2. When choosing a folder with .avi files and searching for "avi" in the search bar (choosing extensions) PathFinder finds not a singel avi file which is in the folder. What could be the problem?

Thank you
-Nick

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 15 Nov, 2012 11:19 PM

Hi Nick.

1. Go into View > Show View Options, switch to This window only at the top-left and choose your options.

2. The by Extension option is part of the Filter setting. This just filters out files which are actually in view, in the current folder. Useful if you're in a folder with mixed file types and you want just to filter out jpg or avi to compress, email, organize, etc.

The option you want in the drop-down menu is Search > Selection. Then just type in avi and it will actually search in the subfolders of the current folder and present to you only avi files.

There's also a pitfall with this option, when the goal is to search files for deletion. If you search for png, for example in a folder that contains packages (apps), it will also search by default inside them so, be careful because you might end deleting a couple of app resources. If you use the Find window (Command + F) you'll have the option to search inside packages or not.

Cheers.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2012 11:19 PM.

3. kopernikus79 re-opened this discussion on 16 Nov, 2012 07:51 AM

4. 2 Posted by kopernikus79 on 16 Nov, 2012 07:51 AM

Thank you, the answer to my second question worked. But for the first question, I can not switch to "this window only" because it's not possible to click, it's grey. In the picture you can see, "Alle Fenster" (all windows) and to the left the little switch icon can not be clicked.

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 16 Nov, 2012 02:01 PM

It's only grayed-out in Column View, Nick, since, due to its browsing nature, there's no concept of "actually being inside a folder". It only works in List and Icon View. Cheers.

6. Damazio closed this discussion on 19 Nov, 2012 03:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac