QuickLookSatellite hogging ~100% CPU

Terrence Barr

21 Mar, 2018 09:17 PM

I am on PathFinder 7.6.2 and Mac OS X 10.13. For the last couple of weeks I have noticed that QuickLookSatellite hogs around 100% for long stretches (hours). QuickLookSatellite doesn't stop by itself but stops immediately when I quit PathFinder. When I restart PathFinder it usually takes 30 minutes to several hours until QuickLookSatellite comes back and hogs the CPU. I use my MacBook a lot on battery, so this behavior is a major problem as it leads to rapid battery drain, not to mention sluggish behavior.

I assume there is something about the SpotLight indexing process that goes haywire when PathFinder is running. I deleted the SpotLight index ( rm -rf /.Spotlight-V100/) and forced a rebuild, but the behavior didn't change.

Any other advice?

Thanks,
-- Terrence

1. 1 Posted by Terrence Barr on 21 Mar, 2018 09:26 PM

Going back through the forums I see now that this is a common problem and very little help from PF. Will try to play with some of the suggestions, but not very helpful I can work around the issue to my satisfaction, in which case it may indeed be time to dump PF.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Mar, 2018 02:40 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 22 Mar, 2018 02:41 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Mar, 2018 02:41 PM

Hi Terrence,

Thanks for reaching out! 

Have you tried the following: 
    - restoring your View Options to default (cmd+J)  - replacing Preview modules with any other: https://i.imgur.com/M9UkpcI.png - disabling "Show preview column" at Column View Options (cmd+J having chosen the Column View on Toolbar)

How did it go? Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Mar, 2018 02:41 PM.

6. Terrence re-opened this discussion on 24 Mar, 2018 11:18 PM

7. 3 Posted by Terrence on 24 Mar, 2018 11:18 PM

Thanks - I have tried these settings and will let you know if things improve

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2018 12:18 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 25 Mar, 2018 12:19 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac