Bottom drawer button on top?

loredo

18 Apr, 2012 04:29 AM

I'm curious about the rationale for moving the drawer buttons to the top toolbar. I suppose there's no strong reason for the left and right drawer buttons to be on the top or bottom in terms of their function, and I suppose the toolbar is a natural place for them. But I hardly ever used those, yet I frequently use the bottom drawer button. Now if I want to open it, I have to move the mouse to the top of the window to open the bottom terminal drawer, then move it down to the bottom of the window to click to get the focus in the terminal session.

I think the bottom drawer button belongs, well, on the bottom. At the very least, could its operation be changed to automatically move focus to the drawer? At least in that case I won't be going crazy with the pointer to open the drawer and start typing in it.

1. 1 Posted by Michael on 18 Apr, 2012 07:21 AM

The buttons in the status bar were a casualty of a dual pane view redesign.

In Path Finder 5 the status bar would always appear at the very bottom of the window, regardless of pane configuration. In Path Finder 6 we attach one status bar directly to the bottom of each pane, more strongly associating the view info with the actual view content. Additionally, when the preview panel slides up from the bottom of the window it pushes the status bars upward toward the center of the window.

Since the bottom of the window no longer includes any sort of anchoring UI element, the only static area in which to place the buttons was the toolbar.

Automatically giving focus to a newly opened drawer is a great suggestion, we'll consider adding that.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2012 11:45 PM.

3. Dragan re-opened this discussion on 24 Apr, 2012 11:09 PM

4. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac