file renaming + Mission Control desktops

Roman

28 Sep, 2012 11:56 AM

I am using PF 6.1.1 with OS X 10.8.2 and experience problems with the "file rename" function. I have two PF windows open, one on Mission Control desktop 1 and one on another desktop. When I want to rename a file in the second PF window PF switches to the first desktop. I am still able to type in the new file name blindly. When I press or to end the file renaming PF switches back to the original desktop.

This happened before 6.1.1 already. I don't know which version introduced this.

Any fix or workaround?

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 03 Oct, 2012 05:43 PM

Roman, are you using Commands > Rename or renaming in place?

2. 2 Posted by Roman on 03 Oct, 2012 06:59 PM

Damazio, I experience the effect with both methods. Usually, I am using renaming in place.

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 03 Oct, 2012 10:21 PM

I assigned an already existing ticket about Mission Control issues to this thread. We'll post here again when there's a status change.

4. 4 Posted by Roman on 15 Oct, 2012 09:02 AM

An additional observation: The first time after starting Path Finder, renaming a file works as desired (no switching to desktop 1), all next renamings show the effect consistently (PF switches to desktop 1).

Thanks for the effort.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dragan on 15 Oct, 2012 02:45 PM

I can't reproduce this. Any additional settings you use, like Show Path Finder Desktop, Use the Finder's desktop window level and/or Hide Finder's Desktop?

6. 6 Posted by Roman on 15 Oct, 2012 02:57 PM

See attached snapshots (sorry, in German lang). I use the following settings:

[-] Show Path Finder Desktop [x] Hide Finder's Desktop [-] Use the Finder's desktop window level

7. 7 Posted by Damazio on 15 Oct, 2012 04:55 PM

There's a similar report here which I was able to reproduce but it only happens in Full Screen mode. Are you using Full Screen as well, Roman?

8. 8 Posted by Roman on 15 Oct, 2012 05:04 PM

No, I am not using full screen mode, just 8 regular desktops with plenty of applications running (including MS Office which traditionally struggles with Mission Control / Desktops, too).

Any other of my PF settings I can help with? I'll play around with the settings above myself and let you know the results. Maybe I'll find a work-around.

9. 9 Posted by Roman on 07 Nov, 2012 10:28 AM

I've played with the setting and am not able to provoke a behaviour other than the described above.

I can also say that PF switches the desktop independently of whether the PF window was initially created on the current desktop or later moved to another desktop.

When I open a new PF window, though, PF does not switch to desktop #1 the first time I am renaming the file, only the subsequent times.

Any progress on that issue on your behalf? I am still quite annoyed by this behaviour as I use PF windows on Mission Control desktops other than #1.

10. 10 Posted by Damazio on 07 Nov, 2012 10:48 AM

Any progress on that issue on your behalf?

All I can say is that the ticket is still open and Dragan (dev) has an eye on it (among another hundred tickets). Sometimes, it can be hard to reproduce some bugs in specific environments (software/hardware). We always notify users when issues get fixed.

11. 11 Posted by Roman on 07 Nov, 2012 11:20 AM

Thank you for the quick response. I'll stay tuned and push thumbs for finding the cause and fix of the issue.

12. 12 Posted by Roman on 28 Nov, 2012 10:36 AM

In this context, I've just recognized another effect: I have a PF window open on desktop 1 and it's focused, i.e., PF is the active application. I switch to, let's say, desktop 3 and press Cmd-N to open a new PF window. PF then switches back to desktop 1 and opens the window there.

Btw, I use two different Macs with the same PF behaviour on both.

13. 13 Posted by Damazio on 28 Nov, 2012 01:55 PM

Thanks for the update, Roman.

14. 14 Posted by Roman on 10 Dec, 2012 08:28 AM

My pleasure. For the sake of completeness: I experience the same issue with recently released PF 6.1.2.

15. 15 Posted by Roman on 31 Jan, 2013 09:17 AM

PF 6.1.3 - iItem #19 of the release note - seems to fix my problem. Thank you guys! Case closed.

16. 16 Posted by Damazio on 31 Jan, 2013 10:19 AM

Glad you noticed it, Roman. Cheers.

17. Damazio closed this discussion on 31 Jan, 2013 10:19 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac