Batch Rename Help

johnbrown1869

18 Apr, 2012 01:16 AM

A new Path Finder 6 user, I stumbled upon Batch Rename while fiddling earlier. Unfortunately, I was unable to "activate" the bottom left Rename prompt. I am trying to replace all ● (black dot) occurrences within all folders and files with | (vertical separator). The folders and files with ● separators were originally created in Windows Explorer, which didn't support the use of vertical separators within Folder/File names.

As Finder does allow the use of vertical separator characters within Folder/File names, (for aesthetic reasons) I'd like to replace every ● character with a vertical line ( | ). Given the number of Folder/File names containing a ●, batch renaming appears to be the only practical solution.

With that in mind, I'd appreciate answers to the following two questions:

1.  Although inadvertently discovered earlier, I have since been unable to find the Batch Rename feature.  Anyone know where I    can again find it?

2.  With the Batch Rename window accessed, how do I "activate" the otherwise greyed-out Rename button, and replace those ugly black dots with less offensive (personal opinion, I know) vertical lines (On early 2011 15" MacBook Pro keyboards, the shift activated character on the key directly above the return/enter key)?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I've been anxious to do this since purchasing my MacBook Pro 10 months ago.

Michael Henke

BTW, I'm surprised Apple hasn't provided Batch Rename/Find and Replace natively, within Finder

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 18 Apr, 2012 01:55 PM

Please take a look at http://youtu.be/jAMIiTWKVHM for an example how to invoke and use Batch Rename functionality. Check out other videos too.

2. Dragan closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2012 01:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac