Pathfinder locks up and blocks entire machine

Ib Johansen

24 Oct, 2017 07:55 AM

MacBook Pro, early 2013, 16Gb RAM
Pathfinder version: 7.6.1

After upgrade to High Sierra Pathfinder freezes on startup, with shelf open, unable to close it fast enough. Repeated process of opening multiple times. The OS freezes completely after a while and I must hold the power button to restart. I removed the application and downloaded a new version today, same result. I cannot use the program at all.

What to do?

regards
Ib jJoahansen

1. 1 Posted by tycroes on 24 Oct, 2017 11:42 AM

I had exactly the same problem. PF 7.6.1 seems to be broken on 10.13. I even had to restore from Time Machine after multiple restarts and having to Power down with the Power Button. I have been using PF for years but I have removed it from my Mac and I would be very frightened to reinstall it as all my trust is lost ..... Forklift is working just fine.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2017 02:17 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2017 02:19 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Oct, 2017 02:19 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces according to the instruction: http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site
    3. Copy zipped app to the Applications folder
    4. Unzip it into the Apps folder and launch

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2017 02:19 PM.

6. tycroes re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2017 02:49 PM

7. 3 Posted by tycroes on 24 Oct, 2017 02:49 PM

Hi Jordan
    I have already done that and re-installed making another mess of my computer. PF7 was not ready for release and I am not prepared to risk testing PF.
    Once it is definitely OK I will reconsider using it again .... until then it seems I am $20 out of pocket for upgrading.
    Dave

8. 4 Posted by tycroes on 10 Dec, 2017 10:12 AM

After troublesome update to OSX 10.13.2 I had occasion to contact the excellent Apple support. Update problem resolved by resetting NVRAM.
    I have re-installed PF 7.6.2 and this appears to be working just fine now .... great to have PF back again.

2012 iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac13,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 6 MB Memory: 16 GB Boot ROM Version: IM131.010F.B00 SMC Version (system): 2.9f8 Serial Number (system): DGKKR025DNMM Hardware UUID: A5A58460-E8CA-570E-9689-FF073F6859B6

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Dec, 2017 06:52 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 12 Dec, 2017 06:52 PM

11. 5 Posted by Michele on 17 Jan, 2018 08:22 PM

I installed this as a trial user, and it froze my system. Blocked from other applications, SSL error when I tried to re-establish them. Somehow showed that 59.5 GB of storage used up as a result. Had to shut down my mac - which took a while - reboot and now trying to figure out how 20GB of storage got filled. Any suggestions? On High Sierra.

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2018 05:36 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Jan, 2018 05:37 PM

14. 6 Posted by Stefan on 20 Jan, 2018 12:00 PM

Same problem as described by the others.

On my work MacBook Pro (2017, 15", with Touchbar; macOS 10.13.2 with Meltdown/Spectre patch) PathFinder often freezes and the locks the whole macbook. Spinning beach ball. Problem is more or less reproducible. Complete removal and new installation does not help.

Problem happens on various not always same folders on local or remote drives.

PathFinder 7.1.2 seems to have some bigger problems with its code base. I remember some fixes for high sierra especially on touchbar macbooks but these fixes seem to me as they did not solve all the problems.

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jan, 2018 02:31 PM

Hi,

In case PathFinder blocks entire machine, consider following this instruction: 
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2018 02:31 PM.

17. Michele Burt re-opened this discussion on 20 Jan, 2018 08:12 PM

18. 8 Posted by Michele Burt on 20 Jan, 2018 08:12 PM

Hi there,

This was a very frustrating experience, not to mention scary to have my
    machine locked up. Are you considering a fix for this before you let
    others unknowingly walk into this situation? This seems irresponsible to
    me. Please correct me if I am wrong in my assessment.

Thank you,
    Michele Burt

19. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jan, 2018 08:58 PM

Hi Michele, 

The thing is that this happens to a small number of our users. 

But we, of course, we will have further investigation of this case and will do our best to come up with a fix. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2018 08:58 PM.

21. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jan, 2018 08:58 PM

22. 10 Posted by Ted on 31 Jan, 2018 06:43 PM

I have the same problem. Reported it over 1 year ago. It's still happening. I'm running OS 10.12.6. If I wait long enough, maybe 7 minutes, the computer unfreezez and I can use Pathfinder nromally.

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2018 02:29 PM.

24. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 Feb, 2018 02:29 PM

25. 11 Posted by rikb on 17 Mar, 2018 06:38 PM

I am seeing this as well. Running macOS 10.12.6 and pf 7.6.2 (1729). We have multiple systems running pf and they are all periodically locking up through out the day.

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Mar, 2018 06:50 PM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Mar, 2018 06:50 PM

28. 12 Posted by jerome_watts on 27 Dec, 2018 09:54 PM

Is there any status on this? This is and has been happening to me as well. entire machine locks for a few minutes then returns to normal.... is it something to do with indexing or accessibility?

Thanks

29. 13 Posted by Ted Iskenderian on 27 Dec, 2018 11:00 PM

This happens to me rarely now. I’ve changed to Mac Mojave and updated several versions of Pathfinder since I posted this message. You are the first follow-up on a long, long time.

now, however, I do get blank windows when I open a new window.

Ted Iskenderian
    [email blocked]

30. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 07:08 AM.

31. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Dec, 2018 07:08 AM

32. 14 Posted by Cliff McCollum on 23 Jan, 2019 03:44 PM

This problem has been happening to me ever since PF6 - I finally had to stop using that version. I paid for PF7 too see if it was fixed - nope, so I never used it; money wasted. I paid for PF8 hoping it was fixed - nope, it just happened to me again. So now PF8 is banished from my machines again. More money wasted.

I really, really, really want to use this app, but I cannot have something that randomly freezes my machine for 2-5 minutes without warning, at least once per day.

This must be a deeply seated problem, since it's survived three major updates. Every time I report it, I'm asked to completely reinstall. Trust me, that's not what's wrong, and doing so doesn't help.

Unfortunately, it locks the machine up so completely, that clicking on any other app immediately causes that apps to beachball, so I cannot collect performance or debugging metrics.

33. Support Staff 15 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Jan, 2019 10:17 AM

Hi, 

There must be something about your Mac. 
    Do you think anything was carried over from all these years? 
    Also, does the issue persist under Guest macOS user? 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

34. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Jan, 2019 10:17 AM.

35. Cliff McCollum re-opened this discussion on 24 Jan, 2019 07:43 PM

36. 16 Posted by Cliff McCollum on 24 Jan, 2019 07:43 PM

I’ve had this problem across five different Macs, four different major MacOS versions, and numerous machine rebuilds. The only thing I know they all have in common is that they all live inside Amazon’s corporate network. Im pretty certain that PathFinder’s code is mis-handling something that happens when a Mac is part of our mixed-mode network. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s the fact that we use Windows Active Directory as our LDAP controllers and authentication infrastructure - but that’s just a guess. Either way, PathFinder chokes regularly when doing basic stuff, like clicking on a local folder in my local hard drive.

Cliff

Sent from my iPhone

37. 17 Posted by jerome_watts on 24 Jan, 2019 09:00 PM

Same here, started with Sierra, issue persisted across three different Macs. Happens when clicking on a file... any file, file type doesn't matter. Appears to happen when the app sits idle for awhile.

38. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2019 03:08 PM.

39. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 Jan, 2019 03:09 PM

40. 18 Posted by falkirkgroup on 31 Jan, 2019 10:22 PM

A couple of observations Jordan ... as a software developer never ever claim this is only an issue with a small number of people nor do you blame their computer. You belittle their experience and trash your brand.

Over the last couple of upgrades to macOS the app has become a CPU and Memory hog. I have 64gb of RAM and it can consume over 60% within an hour of turning on. I now have it turned off except for when I absolutely have to use it and then switch it off.
    Previous contact re the same issue on my MacBook Pro I was told this memory issue was a known issue and would be resolved in V8 Checking the forum shows that the issue continues
    Until you can demonstrate something has changed NO upgrade and limited use.

macOS 10.14.2
    3.4GHz Intel Core 5
    64 Mb 2400 MHz DDR4

41. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2019 11:25 AM.

42. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 Feb, 2019 11:25 AM

43. 19 Posted by Brian Fleming on 08 Feb, 2019 06:11 PM

Now I remember why I removed PF7, because it locks up with a color wheel. I just tried pathfinder 8 and started with the same problem.

This is a brand new mac, I started working for a new company 6 months ago.

I am using alfred to find files, and I want finder disabled so I did that too. I just wanted pf active. but dang this problem makes pf8 unusable.

44. 20 Posted by Graeme Smail on 08 Feb, 2019 11:53 PM

Just installed latest update with fingers crossed. Straight away the spinning color wheel. Force Quit and wait for the next update. What I would give for PF8 to actually work reliably

45. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Feb, 2019 11:38 AM.

46. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Feb, 2019 11:38 AM

47. 21 Posted by Brian Fleming on 09 Feb, 2019 10:06 PM

You know I think my problem is related to the interaction with Alfred. I use Alfred to find files and open finder at that specific location.

Soon as I do this, it locks up pathfinder. Anyone use alfred?

48. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Feb, 2019 08:31 AM.

49. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Feb, 2019 08:32 AM

50. 22 Posted by jerome_watts on 23 Feb, 2019 02:42 PM

This issue has not been resolved. I stop using this application over a month ago, waiting for a fix that doesn't appear to be coming. Now, I'm interested in getting a refund.

51. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Feb, 2019 10:30 AM.

52. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 25 Feb, 2019 10:30 AM

53. 23 Posted by Jan Baumann on 12 Mar, 2019 04:06 PM

I've been using PathFinder 8 on my private machine with no problems together with Alfred. So for me that setup is no problem at all.

I have however tried to install PathFinder 8 on my working machine just today. And after about 2 minutes PathFinder locks and freezes my entire machine. Not even CMD+Alt+Esc works. I have macOS Mojave (10.14.3) on both my working machine and my private machine.

What I found interesting is that my working machine is hooked up to an AD server for authentication as well, maybe a coincidence but as Cliff McCollum reported a similar setup maybe something worth looking into.

54. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2019 12:21 PM.

55. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Mar, 2019 12:21 PM

56. 24 Posted by VRH on 12 Jul, 2019 03:09 PM

I have this same problem, and I'm connected to Active Directory, as well. After a restart, the first time I select a file or folder in PF8, my whole system becomes unresponsive for about 5 minutes, at which point everything returns to normal. Very frustrating. Is there a solution to this?

57. Support Staff 25 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Jul, 2019 07:21 AM

Hi,

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of PathFinder process in a separate file - this will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

58. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2019 07:21 AM.

59. Vaughn R. Hamilton re-opened this discussion on 14 Jul, 2019 10:27 PM

60. 26 Posted by Vaughn R. Hamil... on 14 Jul, 2019 10:27 PM

It will be difficult to send you what you're asking for, because when I reproduce the problem, all applications become unresponsive for about five minutes. This only happens once each start-up, and only upon clicking on a file or folder the first time in Path Finder.

VRH

--
    Vaughn R. Hamilton
    Email at Hamilton Home dot net

-----Original Message-----
    Reply-To: <[email blocked]>
    Date: Sunday, 14 July 2019 at 3:47 AM
    To: Vaughn Hamilton <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Cocoatech Support

Subject: Pathfinder locks up and blocks entire machine

Hi,

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of PathFinder process in a separate file - this will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
        2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
        3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
        4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
        5. Click Save and save the sample file.
        6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
        7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Best Regards,
        Jordan
        Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/76378-pathfinder-locks-up-and-blocks-entire-machine

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

61. Support Staff 27 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 Jul, 2019 12:09 PM

Hi Vaughn,

Would you be able to share additional details so we could try reproducing it?

Does it happen on all or only some of your machines? Which versions of macOS and Path Finder 8 do you have installed? What would be the steps to reproduce the issue?

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

62. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2019 12:09 PM.

63. Vaughn R. Hamilton re-opened this discussion on 15 Jul, 2019 02:08 PM

64. 28 Posted by Vaughn R. Hamil... on 15 Jul, 2019 02:08 PM

In reviewing the support discussion boards, it appears to happen only to a few folks, and it may have something to do with being connected to Active Directory. I only have one machine, a MacBook Pro running the latest macOS. This lock-up behaviour does not appear to happen under profiles that are not connected to Active Directory.

* MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
    - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    * macOS Mojave version 10.14.5 (18F132)

I'm running the latest version of Path Finder (8.5.4), but this has been happening for long enough that I can't remember when it started.

It only happens once after a reboot. It happens the first time a file or folder is selected in a Path Finder window. From that moment, Path Finder and the Finder are completely unresponsive, and most other applications are completely unresponsive or barely responsive. This lock-up lasts for approximately five minutes. After that, everything returns to normal until the next reboot.

I have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall per instructions from the Cocoatech support site (although those instructions referencing PF7 and 6, and not 8). Still, the problem persists. I have searched the Console system logs after these occurrences and can't find anything to help. I tried getting a sample during the lock-up, but Activity Monitor was unresponsive during the lock-up and the sample appears to have waited until after things returned to normal. Nevertheless, I've attached the sample for your perusal.

VRH

--
    Vaughn R. Hamilton
    Email at Hamilton Home dot net

-----Original Message-----
    Reply-To: <[email blocked]>
    Date: Monday, 15 July 2019 at 8:09 AM
    To: Vaughn Hamilton <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Cocoatech Support

Subject: Pathfinder locks up and blocks entire machine

Hi Vaughn,

Would you be able to share additional details so we could try reproducing it?

Does it happen on all or only some of your machines? Which versions of macOS and Path Finder 8 do you have installed? What would be the steps to reproduce the issue?

Best Regards,
        Jordan
        Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/76378-pathfinder-locks-up-and-blocks-entire-machine

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

65. 29 Posted by Cliff McCollum on 15 Jul, 2019 03:19 PM

This has been happening to me since some minor-release of PathFinder 5, and whatever version of MacOS was current at the time With each new version, I install hoping for the best, discover it still locks up my machine, and uninstall, waiting for the next version. I've had the same sad experience with PathFinder 6, then 7, and now 8. Each time I post a report in the product Forums.

I can confirm it only happens on my work machines, which have Active Directory integrated. It never happens on my personal machines, which do not have Active Directory.

66. Support Staff 30 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 17 Jul, 2019 11:17 AM

Hi Cliff,

Thank you for the sample and the additional info! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

67. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2019 11:17 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac