Sorting of directory not being remembered

Gunnar

17 Apr, 2012 06:46 PM

Hi
I often use different directories with different sorting orders - sometimes by name - sometimes by date modified. It's not a fixed thing where specific folders need to display in a certain sorting order all the time. Therefor it is really hard to come to terms with Pathfinder (newest version as well) not being able to remember the current sorting order of a directory. Default is by name if you switch it temporarily to by date modified and go one directory down or one up and return afterwards to the given directory with the changed sorting order Pathfinder does not remember that i wanted that directory being sorted differently. Am i missing something that enables me to do just that or is that just something that will never make it's way into Pathfinder?
Any insights very welcome.
Cheers
Gunnar

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 17 Apr, 2012 06:49 PM

When you're inside a folder where you want a different sorting from the default, just press Command-J, switch the top-left button to This window only and apply your sorting there. It will be remembered next time.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2012 06:49 PM.

3. Gunnar re-opened this discussion on 17 Apr, 2012 07:01 PM

4. 2 Posted by Gunnar on 17 Apr, 2012 07:01 PM

thanks for your very quick reply
    yeah i figured that option. it is only that it takes too many steps to make that change to a directory. i would not mind using that procedure if certain directories would always be needed in a certain sorting order but if your working style is not that rigid it feels annoying - at least to me - that a feature that even the Finder has is missing in your otherwise mighty tool. Maybe it's something to consider for a future version. I know you can't access ds_store files where the Finder stores that information but could you not create your own files or is that something you specifically don't want to do to not clutter the system with even more "useless" files ...

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 17 Apr, 2012 10:40 PM

This is to prevent an accidental definitive sorting of folders. When you click on a header to sort it has to be temporary (while you keep the folder open) because in the View Options, there's always a specific sort setting for All windows and this always applies when (re)reading a folder.

6. Damazio closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2012 10:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac