Compare... not work

Peter

18 Aug, 2012 10:19 AM

Hi,

After selecting 2 files and right click on the selection i have a menu-point Compare... but when i select this --> nothing happens.
What's wrong?

Regards Peter

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 18 Aug, 2012 01:23 PM

I think this option might be just a place holder or just work if you have the Developers Tools installed but I notified Dragan (dev) about this thread.

2. 2 Posted by Peter on 18 Aug, 2012 01:34 PM

Thanks Damazio,
    but the Developer Tools from Apple are installed.

Peter

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 22 Aug, 2012 09:32 AM

Hi Peter,

Do you see any logging output from Path Finder in the Console.app when the "Compare..." operation fails?

4. 4 Posted by Peter on 22 Aug, 2012 06:59 PM

Hi,

no there are nothing....

Peter

5. 5 Posted by Peter on 22 Aug, 2012 08:32 PM

Sorry, here are the Textlines

22.08.12 22:29:00,367 Path Finder[521]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 1. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.
    22.08.12 22:29:00,367 Path Finder[521]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 1. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on
    CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Dragan on 23 Aug, 2012 01:24 PM

Peter, that's very strange. It seems like Path Finder is complaining over some .plist file, claiming it misses semicolon. It may be that some files in your Path Finder app bundle somehow got corrupted for some reason.

Can you please re-download Path Finder from Cocoatech site (http://www.cocoatech.com) and see whether you still get those log lines and whether the problem with comparing files still exists?

7. 7 Posted by peter on 23 Aug, 2012 01:48 PM

It is the same output after reinstalling pf6 new...
    i have the trail version from version 6 and before i had an full version of pf5... does this help?

23.08.12 15:45:11,285 Path Finder[1877]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 1. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.
    23.08.12 15:45:11,286 Path Finder[1877]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 1. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on
    CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.

8. 8 Posted by solus on 18 Apr, 2013 10:53 PM

I just want to make sure I understand correctly ...

At the bottom of the PF6 Context Menu, between "Customize Menu..." and "Services", a "Compare..." option will appear if you have selected exactly two files or two folders (or a folder and an application, which is technically a folder). Furthermore, this menu item will only appear if you have Apple developer tools (Xcode) installed.

I was wondering where this menu item came from, since it does not appear in the Finder Context Menu, and there didn't appear to be any way to add or remove it via the PF6 Contextual Menu Preference pane.

Is this a preview feature, or something that is fully supported?

It would be great if users could add custom commands to the context menu. I would surely add similar "compare" options for 3rd-party tools, such as Beyond Compare and Kaleidoscope. The Serivces menu can handle that somewhat, but I already have two dozen entries in their, and nothing is organized ... it just a mess.

9. 9 Posted by Damazio on 18 Apr, 2013 11:02 PM

It would always show if you had 2 items selected but only work if you had Xcode installed. Next version will support the use of a 3rd party tool. Read the last dev's post on this thread, for more info.

Cheers, guys.

10. 10 Posted by solus on 19 Apr, 2013 01:06 AM

That's great news! I completely missed that post. Thanks!

11. Dragan closed this discussion on 20 Apr, 2013 03:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac