Selecting Filename Extensions when Renaming A File

Dan

08 Aug, 2012 09:29 PM

I've been using Path Finder over 3 upgrades. I've been always having the same problem of selecting file names, it highlights the extension when double clicking while renaming whereas in Finder it will stop at the extension. Is there an option somewhere to turn this off?

1. 1 Posted by Brennan on 17 Aug, 2012 02:09 AM

I'm not sure why this is happening. You could try right clicking and select Get Info and check the box next to Hide Extension.

2. Brennan closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2012 02:09 AM.

3. Daniel Hadinata re-opened this discussion on 17 Aug, 2012 09:55 PM

4. 2 Posted by Daniel Hadinata on 17 Aug, 2012 09:55 PM

Thanks for responding. That doesn't solve the problem though.

Daniel Hadinata
    Saddleback Church Communication Arts
    (949) 609-8561 • [email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 18 Aug, 2012 01:33 AM

Daniel, you have a weird issue going on. Path Finder never selects the extension when renaming a file. Does it also happen when choosing Commands > Rename or by pressing the hotkey set in Preferences > Features > Keyboard > Browser Key Actions?

6. Damazio closed this discussion on 21 Aug, 2012 12:57 AM.

7. Dan re-opened this discussion on 22 Oct, 2012 11:21 PM

8. 4 Posted by Dan on 22 Oct, 2012 11:21 PM

It happens when highlighting a file name by clicking it twice. In finder when renaming a file, it selects everything except for the extension, then double clicking on a section will highlight a part up-to the extension's period. In pathfinder, it selects everything except for the extension, but then double clicking it will also select the extension not stopping at the period. This makes it much longer for me because I rename files a lot. See attached file to see the odd behavior.

Thanks for the help!

9. 5 Posted by Damazio on 25 Oct, 2012 10:15 AM

I can see what you mean. I passed this discussion to the dev to see what he thinks about following Finder's behavior here.

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Dragan on 13 Nov, 2012 01:25 PM

I'm adding this to the list of feature requests to implement.

11. Dragan closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2012 01:25 PM.

12. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dragan on 14 Nov, 2012 03:36 PM

This will appear in version 6.1.3.

13. Dragan closed this discussion on 14 Nov, 2012 03:36 PM.

14. Daniel Hadinata re-opened this discussion on 02 Feb, 2013 12:12 AM

15. 8 Posted by Daniel Hadinata on 02 Feb, 2013 12:12 AM

Hi Damazio,
    Thanks for including a change to the most recent Pathfinder, however, it now selects the whole name and doesn't stop at dashes or spaces like the regular finder does when double clicking while renaming a name. First screenshot shows pathfinder, the second finder, so you can see the difference. The reason why this is useful is for when I need to change sections of a file name fast, hope you can fix it!

Thanks for your support!

[cid:[email blocked]]

[cid:[email blocked]]

On Oct 25, 2012, at 3:15 AM, Damazio wrote:

Subject: Selecting Filename Extensions when Renaming A File

I can see what you mean. I passed this discussion to the dev to see what he thinks about following Finder's behavior here.

View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/7377-selecting-filename-extensions-when-renaming-a-file
    Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

16. 9 Posted by Damazio on 06 Feb, 2013 12:26 AM

It's Dragan who's doing the changes, not me. I'm just the messenger, but thanks for the report, Daniel. Actually, it's stopping on dot delimited filenames, just not on dash delimited (Finder stops on dots and dashes but not on underscores).

I'll notify Dragan, just in case.

17. 10 Posted by Daniel Hadinata on 06 Feb, 2013 01:29 AM

Much thanks! Sorry, only knew to contact you because I only had your contact. The previous version was working a little better, so I might just revert for now.

On Feb 5, 2013, at 4:26 PM, Damazio wrote:

> From: Damazio (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Selecting Filename Extensions when Renaming A File
    >
    > It's Dragan who's doing the changes, not me. I'm just the messenger, but thanks for the report, Daniel. Actually, it's stopping on dot delimited filenames, just not on dash delimited (Finder stops on dots and dashes but not on underscores).
    >
    > I'll notify Dragan, just in case.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/7377-selecting-filename-extensions-when-renaming-a-file
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >

18. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac