Keystroke Preferences

d4linthicum

16 Jul, 2012 04:31 PM

Under Preferences > Keyboard... The instructions read, " Select a menu item hit a command sequence to modify." This doesn't work, and I don't see any "authentication" requiremment, icon, or whatever... so this appears locked or unavailable. Is this true? Or, is there another way.

Thanks,
-Dennis [email blocked]

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 16 Jul, 2012 04:55 PM

You need to expand a menu first, like File > New Folder, then click on New Folder and hit the Delete key to clear or record a new combination.

Some system default combinations can't be changed like Command + I and you can't use certain modifier keys alone, like the Control key. The only single key combination you can use are the F keys.

Please attach a screenshot in case of doubt.

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2012 04:55 PM.

3. d4linthicum re-opened this discussion on 16 Jul, 2012 05:02 PM

4. 2 Posted by d4linthicum on 16 Jul, 2012 05:02 PM

Thanks,

The keystroke I'm trying to modify is "Move to Trash" - typically "Command + Delete" but in your menu it is combined with a function key. (Command + F19??).  Is this modifiable?

-Dennis

On 7/16/12 9:55 AM, Damazio wrote:
    // Add your reply above here
    ==================================================
    Subject: Keystroke Preferences

You need to expand a menu first, like **File > New Folder**, then click on **New Folder** and hit the Delete key to clear or record a new combination.

Some system default combinations can't be changed like `Command + I` and you can't use certain modifier keys alone, like the `Control`key. The only single key combination you can use is the `F` keys.

Please attach a screenshot in case of doubt.

View this Discussion online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/6720-keystroke-preferences

--

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 16 Jul, 2012 05:10 PM

Please attach a screenshot (Commands > Screen Capture). I'll test it when I get home.

6. 4 Posted by d4linthicum on 16 Jul, 2012 11:48 PM

This is the screen, with the command I want to alter highlighted.  Note the text below the menu/command window reads, "Select a menu item and hit a command key sequence to modify."  Give it a whirl...   Thanks!

On 7/16/12 10:10 AM, Damazio wrote:

Please attach a screenshot (**Commands > Screen Capture**). I'll test it when I get home.

View this Discussion online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/6720-keystroke-preferences

--

7. 5 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 12:01 AM

So... since you already selected the item, what happens when you hit a command key sequence? You can try to push F5, Command + F5, Option + Command + F5, for example.

If it doesn't work, try it on another menu command, for troubleshooting purposes.

8. 6 Posted by d4linthicum on 17 Jul, 2012 12:37 AM

Yes, I have done all of those already... 
    For example,  Cmd + Delete = Mac Bad keystroke noise; Cmd + D = same noise. Choosing another Menu Item equals same noise.

This happens amongst all Menu Items. ( I didn't try them all, but 5 or 6 anyway...) 

-Dennis

On 7/16/12 5:01 PM, Damazio wrote:

So... since you already selected the item, what happens when you hit a command key sequence? You can try to push `F5`, `Command + F5`, `Option + Command + F5`, for example.

If it doesn't work, try it on another menu command, for troubleshooting purposes.

--

9. 7 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 12:45 AM

And after you quit and relaunch Path Finder?

10. 8 Posted by d4linthicum on 17 Jul, 2012 03:24 AM

Nope...  This can't work in your copy... can it? 

In my copy there is no ability to alter any of keystrokes in this list of keyboard commands. I'm in the latest copy v6.0.4 (1267).

-Dennis

On 7/16/12 5:45 PM, Damazio wrote:

And after you quit and relaunch Path Finder?

--

11. 9 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 10:17 AM

Yes it does and should work but I just found a similar older report here. What OS X version are you on? Are you using any third party app which might capture keystrokes?

12. 10 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 02:09 PM

Also, are you using the latest Path Finder 6.0.4?

13. 11 Posted by d4linthicum on 17 Jul, 2012 04:05 PM

Yes, just to be sure you saw my last reply, I'm running v6.0.4

Also, I asked, "Is this working in your copy?" My sense is can't be. No keystroke combinations can be modified in the version I'm using.

-Dennis

On 7/17/12 7:09 AM, Damazio wrote:

Also, are you using the latest Path Finder 6.0.4?

--

14. 12 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 04:39 PM

Sorry, I missed that. What about the OS X version?

15. 13 Posted by d4linthicum on 17 Jul, 2012 04:41 PM

I don't have any Apps that "capture" keystrokes, but several that are invoked via key-combinations, like QuickSilver.

I quit these, no change, then I did an Apple > Restart. The keystroke which I had entered before the Restart was actually successfully recorded in Path Finder. Now, that modified Key - works - and QuickSilver is still running.

I'm not sure..., but I certainly appreciate your consistency in asking all of the thoughtful questions.  Thanks!

-Dennis

On 7/17/12 3:17 AM, Damazio wrote:

Yes it does and should work but I just found a similar older report [here](http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/1279-keyboard-commands-are-not-editable-in-pf6). What OS X version are you on? Are you using any third party app which might capture keystrokes?

--

16. 14 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 04:44 PM

No problem, Dennis. Maybe it was a glitch but more important, now that you restarted your computer, can you enter key combinations in Path Finder (do they show up as soon as you press them)?

17. 15 Posted by d4linthicum on 17 Jul, 2012 09:09 PM

Yes, Thanks...  Keystroke changes show up immediately, just as promised. I'm not aware of anything different on my Mac. QuickSilver is still running and I didn't see any Apple/3rd Party patches go in... but, regardless, it all works.

Thanks!
    -Dennis

On 7/17/12 9:44 AM, Damazio wrote:

No problem, Dennis. Maybe it was a glitch but more important, now that you restarted your computer, can you enter key combinations in Path Finder (do they show up as soon as you press them)?

--

18. 16 Posted by Damazio on 17 Jul, 2012 10:42 PM

Thumbs up.

19. Damazio closed this discussion on 17 Jul, 2012 10:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac