Configuration issue/problem Pathfinder 6

Mark

10 Jul, 2012 03:12 PM

Because of the lack of written documentation, I am unable to tell you what the problem is (that, in and of itself, is a problem), so I must refer you to the attached PDF file and ask, "How is that configured? How is it used? How can I alter it"

I dragged something to it by accident and don't know how to remove it.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 10 Jul, 2012 03:27 PM

That is called Bookmarks Bar (Menu View) and you can remove items by dragging them out (if it's a folder, you need to drag it out quickly, before the drop-down menu opens).

2. Damazio closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2012 03:27 PM.

3. Mark re-opened this discussion on 14 Jul, 2012 01:06 PM

4. 2 Posted by Mark on 14 Jul, 2012 01:06 PM

What is it's purpose? How is it best used?

5. 3 Posted by Damazio on 14 Jul, 2012 02:51 PM

It can be the same as the Places section on the Sidebar, but with a hierarchy. You can drag folders, files or applications there, for easy access.

Folders will show their subfolders when clicked on, so you can access you most used locations in a hierarchical fashion instead of the usual flat list in the Places section on the Sidebar.

Applications, for example will serve as droplets (the same as dragging an application to the Toolbar) and folders will spring-load and open in the browser when you drag something onto them.

If you use Apple's Mail.app, it's called Favorites Bar there, and works the same way.

6. Damazio closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2012 02:51 PM.

7. Mark re-opened this discussion on 15 Jul, 2012 02:23 PM

8. 4 Posted by Mark on 15 Jul, 2012 02:23 PM

Where is this documented? There's probably other items I've missed, too.

Thanks

Mark R Friedman: Artist, Photographer
    2 Decker Rd
    Ossining, NY 10562

[email blocked]

(914)762-7689 - Main
    (914) 356-6880 (cell)
    (914) 361-9194 (Google Voice)

9. 5 Posted by Damazio on 15 Jul, 2012 06:32 PM

There is no written documentation for Path Finder 6. Please check this KB section to help you get started with most features.

10. Damazio closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2012 06:32 PM.

11. Mark re-opened this discussion on 16 Jul, 2012 12:43 PM

12. 6 Posted by Mark on 16 Jul, 2012 12:43 PM

> There is no written documentation for Path Finder 6

(9
    Your videos do not document even the most basic functionalities -- if they did; I never would have needed to ask these questions. It was the LACK of informative information that caused me to write herE.

PathFinder 6 is a sophisticated product and I don't think I'm getting the most out of it. But since I don't know what all of the features are - or how to use them - I'm not sure.

Dropping written documentation sends a strong signal to me that you don't care enough about this product and it's customers to support it properly. It makes me wonder if you're not considering it as end-of life.

[email blocked]

(914)762-7689 - Main
    (914) 356-6880 (cell)

13. 7 Posted by Damazio on 16 Jul, 2012 02:21 PM

I'm a user just like you, I have no power over Cocoatech's decisions, as a company.
    I learned my way around Path Finder by using it a lot (and many file managers before) and searching/enquirying about it. Now, I'm glad to help based on my experience.

More screencasts and Knowledge Base articles may come along when the small staff (plus me, as a volunteer) find time to do it.

So, there's no problem writing here, when you have a problem, at all. We are most patient and always looking forward to help.

Please re-open or post new questions as they arise.
    Cheers, Mark.

14. Damazio closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2012 02:21 PM.

15. Mark re-opened this discussion on 16 Jul, 2012 03:32 PM

16. 8 Posted by Mark on 16 Jul, 2012 03:32 PM

Thanks, Damazio.

I wasn't aware that you were a volunteer. My complaint is targeted towards the product managers at Cocoatech (I spent several years managing product and development and for a major software company before I retired).

2 Decker Rd
    Ossining, NY 10562

[email blocked]

(914)762-7689 - Main
    (914) 356-6880 (cell)

17. 9 Posted by Damazio on 16 Jul, 2012 04:13 PM

I understand. They are free to reply to this thread since we all have access to it.
    BTW, here are some more tipss about using the Bookmarks Bar.

The best way to organize it the way you want is to organize it first in the file browser and then drag to the Bookmarks Bar. For example:

1. Create a base folder called Path Finder in your Documents folder

2. Create as many category subfolders as you want, inside the folder above
      eg. Web Design, Applications, Servers, Places...

3. Create aliases of your favorite folders inside the above categories
      eg. drag httpdocs to Web Design, while holding Option + Command

4. If you have folders with the same name, you can rename aliases without affecting the original
      eg. rename <bootvolume>/Users/<userrname>/Library to User Library and <bootvolume>/Library to System Library

5. Drag the base folder Path Finder or its category subfolders, independently, to the Bookmarks Bar

You can also rename items by starting them with a number to override alphabetical sorting, eg. 1. folder B and 2. folder A.

The Bookmarks Bar will sort aliases of files, folders, smart folders, drives and servers, each in their own section, by placing divider lines, automatically, between types.

18. 10 Posted by Mark on 16 Jul, 2012 04:32 PM

That's helpful, useful and informative. It's the kind of writeup I'd hoped to to find for the whole product.

Is there a place you can post your reply so other users can find it easily?

2 Decker Rd
    Ossining, NY 10562

[email blocked]

(914)762-7689 - Main
    (914) 356-6880 (cell)

19. 11 Posted by Damazio on 16 Jul, 2012 04:48 PM

You started this thread as Public so every user can see it but I'll post it on the Tips & Tricks section on the Knowledge Base, later on.

20. Damazio closed this discussion on 16 Jul, 2012 11:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac