Updating Tags

shaun.seymour

17 Apr, 2012 10:07 AM

Hi, I really like the changes to Version 6, maybe I'm missing something but if i create a tag group and add it to some files, then add or remove another tag to the tag group it doesn't update those files that are already tagged with that group.
I can see that some people wouldn't want this but it would be extremely helpful to me, could this be an option to have the groups update files if the tag group is modified?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 17 Apr, 2012 07:10 PM

That probably won't be implemented, even as an option.

I understand your point and I realise that what you want can be beneficial, but it could easily turn into the nightmare from both usability point of view (does a file take care of its tags or do tags take care of their files), but even more so from implementation point of view. Files have no idea about the group they got their tags from (and they can be tagged with tags that don't belong to any group), they only "know" of their tags. When you change/update a group, there is not way to trace back files tagged with tags from that group. In short, Path Finder would have to manipulate a completely separate database, taking care of files and tags groups EVERY time a file is tagged or a tag group is updated. And we don't think it's worth it.

Tags group are designed just for the convenience of adding more related tags to a file in a quick and simple way.

2. Dragan closed this discussion on 17 Apr, 2012 07:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac