Searching on multiple devices

soho

28 Jun, 2012 03:34 PM

Hello,

how do I search on multiple devices at the same time? i.e. network shares

1. 1 Posted by Michael on 28 Jun, 2012 08:45 PM

There is a known bug with searching network volumes that our developers are currently investigating.

2. Michael closed this discussion on 28 Jun, 2012 08:45 PM.

3. Dragan re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2012 07:48 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dragan on 29 Jun, 2012 07:48 PM

FIrst of all, let's explain how to search multiple devices at the same time. Show Find window (menu item Window > Find Window or just cmd+F) and click Others... (see attached image Spotlight). You'll get a sheet with mounted volumes (both local and network) and some default folders (you can edit this list as well by adding and removing entries, see attached picture Others). Select checkboxes on volumes you want to search at the same time and after clicking OK you'll be automatically set to search them. For example, I chose volumes HFS_1, HFS_2 and FAT, and after clicking OK they appeared together as one location named 3 Places in the location bar of the FInd window (see attached image 3 Places). When that is selected, you search those three volumes at the same time.

The other thing is whether you see any results when searching network volumes. If you don't see files found on network volumes even though you know they're there, tell me whether you use Spotlight search (see attached image Spotlight), or simple file search (see attached image Search)?

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 29 Apr, 2013 09:01 PM

In order to use Spotlight search on network volumes, one has to force Spotlight indexing for a newly mounted network volume.

Please read this knowledge base entry. It explains in details everything related to this particular issue.

6. Dragan closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2013 09:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac