Searching on external drive (Mac)

brsnyder117

22 Jun, 2012 05:16 PM

I am trying to search for files (Mac, PF6.0.2) on an external disk that is showing up in Devices in the sidebar. I can add it to the list of Others to search. But PF seems to only find stuff on my internal hard drive, which makes it pretty useless for me at the moment. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I really need this functionality. Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 22 Jun, 2012 05:20 PM

When clicking on Others, is your external disk the only selected item or are both the external and the boot volume selected?

2. 2 Posted by brsnyder117 on 22 Jun, 2012 05:55 PM

I just tried it both ways, but it still only finds stuff on the internal disk.

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 22 Jun, 2012 07:12 PM

I just noticed that when you choose a location on Others, the selection snaps back to the current selected folder, in the browser (first item on the Location Bar). Did you make sure that Volume < Disk Name > is selected, before performing the search?

4. 4 Posted by brsnyder117 on 22 Jun, 2012 09:14 PM

Hmmm, didn't notice that, which seems to be a different bug.

OK here's an additional piece of info that I just realized is probably relevant, although I wish it wasn't... The drive I am searching on is connected to an Airport router, not physically connected to the computer itself. Seems to be a Mac issue. Searching online suggested I download a different search tool, which works.

So... never mind! Sorry for the hassle.

Now if I could only remember what I was searching for in the first place!

5. 5 Posted by Damazio on 23 Jun, 2012 03:14 PM

No problem.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Dragan on 29 Apr, 2013 10:36 PM

Coming a bit late to the party...

Anyhow, two things:

1. The first one is about searching files on network volumes (like in your case, drive is connected to an AirPort router: in order to use Spotlight search on network volumes, one has to force Spotlight indexing for a newly mounted network volume. Please read this knowledge base entry. It explains in details everything related to this particular issue.

2. About that "I just noticed that when you choose a location on Others, the selection snaps back to the current selected folder, in the browser (first item on the Location Bar)." That small bug will be fixed in the upcoming version 6.1.6.

7. Dragan closed this discussion on 29 Apr, 2013 10:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac