Delete not completely deleting

ceo

20 Jun, 2012 02:09 PM

I'm running PF 6.02 and I'm experiencing strange behavior when I go to delete a range of files. I use CMD-Delete and only some of the files in the range I've selected get deleted. I need to go back a second time to get the full list. The same is true if I use the delete icon on the toolbar. The only sure way to delete the list is to right-click and use Move to Trash.

Deleting a single file with CMD-Delete works perfectly.

Any idea of what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 30 Jun, 2012 11:40 PM

I can't replicate this. Command + Delete or Move to Trash do the exact same thing. If you could record a short video using QuickTime or at least some step-by-step screenshots, that would be useful.

2. 2 Posted by ceo on 01 Jul, 2012 11:40 AM

Here's a QT movie of the behavior I referenced. Please note that the range of files was chosen with my cursor but the delete action was initiated with CMD-Del. It would behave the same way if I chose the Delete icon in the toolbar.

If I choose the same range a second time the files will disappear.

I'm on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro I5 with 8 GB, a 480 GB SSD using the NVIDIA GT330M.

Thanks for looking into this!

3. 3 Posted by ceo on 01 Jul, 2012 11:53 AM

I posted a reply in the forum, along with a QT of the problem.
    Thanks!
    Best,Ron

> From: [email blocked]
    > To: [email blocked]
    > Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:40:32 -0400
    > Subject: Re: Delete not completely deleting [Problems & Questions]
    >

4. 4 Posted by Damazio on 01 Jul, 2012 02:32 PM

Ron, thanks for the screencast. Can you try to memorize and delete a certain range and after some of them appear to come back, quit and relaunch Path Finder and see if they're still there?

5. 5 Posted by ceo on 02 Jul, 2012 12:27 PM

I did as you asked, and they were gone when PF was restarted. So these are actually being deleted but the display is inaccurate?

6. 6 Posted by Damazio on 02 Jul, 2012 01:44 PM

Yes, that's what I thought. Next time, just try to hit View > Reload.
    This refresh issue may happen once in a while and, despite users usually report it as a Path Finder issue, I've seen it happen in Finder and particularly the Downloads folder on my Dock, just last night. I deleted a great number of files in Path Finder and the folder on the Dock, was stil showing some of them.

I think this has to do with fseventd and file system notifications.

7. 7 Posted by ceo on 02 Jul, 2012 02:34 PM

I haven't been able to replicate it in Finder, but that's probably because I use PF 99% of the time. The rare time I find myself in Finder is when I need to access the file system via an application.

As always, PF is a great app and I use it every day for dozens of tasks. Hopefully this will get fixed in ML. For the record, I'm testing a virtual machine of ML and haven't see the same behavior. Maybe it's been corrected?

Thanks for the update and help.

8. 8 Posted by Damazio on 02 Jul, 2012 10:29 PM

That's exactly the problem. Some users say it doesn't happen in Finder but how many of us are really using Finder for days, weeks, in a row? I really hope it gets corrected somewhere down the road but I haven't tested ML yet.

Anyway, this is not a trackable bug with a simple fix. As you've seen above, I can't even replicate it, on multiple tests. I think it's "let's wait and see".

9. Damazio closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2012 10:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac