Remove Saved Searches

Bob Vaile

10 Jun, 2012 07:48 AM

Saved Searches....."Search For" in sidebar.

I have a couple of items that have been deleted from Saved Searches and they sill appear in Pathfinder. These file icons are dead, if you put the cursor on them nothing happens or is highlighted.

How do I get rid of these.

1. 1 Posted by marcus.specht on 13 Jun, 2012 09:20 AM

same problem here.

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 19 Jun, 2012 08:42 PM

If they are not present in ~/Library/Saved Searches then another user found the solution to the problem:

After deleting references to the saved searches in the file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist, I had to restart the computer.

3. 3 Posted by Bob Vaile on 19 Jun, 2012 10:50 PM

I can locate the file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist but deleting the references to saved searches in that file is beyond my ability. Any advice?

4. 4 Posted by marcus.specht on 20 Jun, 2012 06:52 AM

Sorry but I can neither find a file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist nor anything in the ./Library/Saved Searches/ folder.
    Any other hint?

5. 5 Posted by Damazio on 20 Jun, 2012 09:31 AM

@Bob: Open the file with your favorite text editor and search for the references (I prefer TextWrangler but you can use TextEdit).

@Marcus: In Path Finder, hit Command + F, make sure your boot volume is selected as the search source and enter com.apple.sidebarlists.plist as the search string. Then edit it, as written above.

6. 6 Posted by marcus.specht on 20 Jun, 2012 11:01 AM

Solved thanks.
    Strangely Spotlight did not find the file but Pathfinder Search did.
    Editing the plist with Xcode is most convenient for me ;-).

Regards

7. 7 Posted by Damazio on 20 Jun, 2012 11:17 AM

Spotlight searches only for indexed files. Path Finder does a full system search (including invisible files). Glad it worked out.

8. 8 Posted by Bob Vaile on 20 Jun, 2012 11:21 PM

Eureka!! I have been staring at those redundant saved searches for years!! Gone!
    So now if I create and save a search...how do I get it to display in my now cleaned up sidebar?

9. 9 Posted by bob Vaile on 20 Jun, 2012 11:34 PM

Actually, forget that last question. I have reorganized a few of my drawers to store my saved searches. Thanks for all the help!!

10. Damazio closed this discussion on 21 Jun, 2012 10:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac