Pathfinder Calculate All Sizes

omegacodeblue

05 Jun, 2012 01:17 PM

Hi,

Impressed with Path Finder in general but have found 1 problem that is a bit of a show stopper:

If I set "Calculate all sizes" in Show View Options the option works correctly for files and folders on my internal HDD.

On any network mounted volume, whether AFP or NFS, only file sizes are calculated - all folder sizes only show "--"

Finder works correctly and shows both file and folder sizes on both the internal HDD and network mounted volumes.

I'm running Lion 10.7.4 on a late 2007 MacBook.

Thanks,

omegacodeblue

1. 1 Posted by omegacodeblue on 05 Aug, 2012 07:47 PM

Hi,

Any update on this issue?

Nothing seems to have been updated in over 2 months

omegacodeblue

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 05 Aug, 2012 10:05 PM

There's a bug ticket on this, still open. We'll update you when the status changes.

3. Damazio closed this discussion on 05 Aug, 2012 10:05 PM.

4. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 15 Apr, 2013 11:35 AM

This (showing all folder sizes in the list view on network volumes) will be implemented in the upcoming version 6.1.6.

Please note that calculating all folder sizes on network volumes can take quite some time. That time depends on the network share type (AFP, SMB, NFS,...), folder sizes and their hierarchy depth. Once the size of a particular folder is calculated, it will appear in the Size column, but until that happens, the size will be shown as two dashes ( --).

I did some testing and Path Finder actually calculates folder sizes on network volumes faster than Finder does, but Finder tends to look more responsive, because it immediately gives some rough estimation of folder sizes and displays them in the light grey colour (like disabled control), but keeps calculating. Once the size for a particulate folder is correctly calculated, it's shown in the full black colour.

In version 6.1.6 we'll just implement calculation. We'll try to improve responsiveness (or better said the illusion of it) in the same fashion like Finder does in one of the later versions. We'll also try to further optimise folder size calculation on network volumes.

5. Dragan closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2013 11:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac