Informed to Update software, and license no longer valid

Luke Fifer

21 May, 2012 01:45 AM

I had previously purchased PAthFinder, and today when launching it informed me that there was an update available. So I clicked on yes please install, and when it relaunched, found out I was back on a trial version and my previous license was invalid.
Trying to remove and go back to version 5. Sure would be nice to be told that an update would ruin your existing software and require you to repurchase in 30 days. I would have skipped it had that been the case.
Anyone else as annoyed by this as me?

1. 1 Posted by Patrick Burleso... on 21 May, 2012 02:50 AM

The update text for Path Finder 6 clearly stated it was a paid upgrade from 5. Did you not read the update text?

2. 2 Posted by benny.goodman on 21 May, 2012 03:45 AM

Agreed: very annoyed.
    The update text is too subtle a place to put licensing related information. The (fair and reasonable) expectation is that the update text is just a change-log.

3. 3 Posted by benny.goodman on 21 May, 2012 03:54 AM

Account created (Ben Goodman)

4. 4 Posted by Luke Fifer on 21 May, 2012 06:30 PM

Nope.
    "PathFinder 6.0.0/1232 is now available (you have 5.8.1/1061). Would you like to download it now?" That's what you are presented with, not "Would you like to change to a new paid version now".
    Sure, I guess I should have scrolled down past the obnoxious graphics to read the text. But when software I have already purchased informs me of a suggested update, I typically just install it.
    Ended up being easy enough to delete and reinstall older version, but still just an annoying (and somewhat sketchy) way of doing things, at least in my opinion.

5. Damazio closed this discussion on 22 May, 2012 05:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac