How does the search function in the main window work?

Brian Ogilvie

08 May, 2012 11:16 AM

Since a search on "search" didn't turn up anything useful, I have a question: it's not at all clear to me how the "search" function in the search field in the main window works.

I understand the filter option, which I use all the time, and the Spotlight option. However, the "search" option doesn't seem to work. When I select a folder and have Path Finder (v. 6.0.1) search it, I get no results, even on a search where I know that files contain that material.

If the search option only searches filenames, and not contents or other attributes, could someone add a note to that effect to the Knowledge Base?

1. 1 Posted by mick.mueck on 15 May, 2012 10:32 AM

I agree with you, the functionally of the search field is really poor - especially considering that this is supposed to be a super-Finder. The very first thing I tried when I downloaded PF was to type something in that field expecting it to return a list of files that contained my search string.

2. 2 Posted by Damazio on 22 Jun, 2012 10:01 AM

Only Spotlight can search for file content, not the Search option which, in the Search Bar, only searches for filenames (including the extension, of course).

Now, there may be a bug in Spotlight's content search but the regular Path Finder Search (Search Bar or Find window) seems to work well on my end.

Try to use the Spotlight function in the Find window (Command + F), search for content, and see if it works.
    Also, the unbeatable rule of thumb, is to try it in Finder, so we can exclude any possibility of a system wide bug/limitation.

3. 3 Posted by raybearfield on 22 Jun, 2012 03:04 PM

I’m having the same problem while trying to use Pathfinder to isolate and identify dozens of versions of items assembled in a long-term (and, I admit, poorly organized at inception) project. I KNOW there is a file with a specific name in a specific folder. I KNOW it has a specific text string within it, and a specific extension (.rtf). Yet using the Search window in the regular Pathfinder browser and the Find File window fails to bring that file up, whether I search by name or content.

I’m a long-time Pathfinder user, and have always considered it valuable. But this issue is causing me all kinds of trouble. I just can’t trust it to find the needle in the haystack my lack of planning allowed to occur.

4. 4 Posted by TF on 10 Jul, 2012 12:24 PM

The same issue here:

If I search in the "Mac Spotlight Search" a specific content it brings up the relevant document, in this case a pdf. No problem here.

If I do the same search within PF6 Search-Window (cmd+F), spotlight search "on", it find nothing! In no case or field. I tried everything!

5. 5 Posted by noision1 on 10 Jul, 2012 04:03 PM

I agree. I also find loading Places i.e. a list of all folders I have marked with a RED label, for example, to be insanely slow, or simply not work. Finder works far better than this. Discouraging....

6. 6 Posted by Damazio on 19 Jul, 2012 01:33 AM

Guys, this seems hard to reproduce, for me but the common issue here seems to be searching for Content. Please, any of you who are still having problems, post a screenshot with the search terms typed in, when searching on the Filter Bar and on the Find Window. This might help us reproduce exact behaviors. Thanks.

7. Damazio closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2012 04:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac