Time Machine mount problem - Snow Leopard

MarkJ

11 Apr, 2012 12:42 AM

I've been having some problems with Time Machine and believe there maybe an issue with how Path Finder mounts network shares. In summary, if I tell Time Machine to use a share that has been mounted using Path Finder then TM fails to connect to the backup disk when attempting an initial backup. However, if I then remount the share using the regular Finder, flip TM to use No Backup Disk (ie disabled) and then set TM to use the remounted share as the backup disk then the initial backup proceeds without a problem. Here are some details regarding the tests I did.

I have an AFP share named 'iMacTM' hosted on a mac named 'macmini' connected to my network. The share is a USB disk plugged into macmini pointing to a partition formatted for Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The partition is freshly formatted. The computer running Time Machine (and to be backed-up) is named 'iMac'. Time Machine begins in a disabled state - with backup disk set to None.

I mount macmini/iMacTM using Path Finder (Go --> Connect To Server), goto Time Machine and Select Backup Disk to point to the iMacTM share. I then kick off the initial backup and Time Machine fails within 30 seconds or so with the error:

"Time Machine could not complete the backup. The backup disk is not available"

The log messages are below. I'm wondering about the relevance of the dot character immediately before the :548 port specified on the afp URLs. Is this normal when specifying the connection port in this context?

"Starting standard backup Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://[email blocked].:548/iMacTM
NetAuthConnectToServerSync failed with error: 80 for url: afp://[email blocked].:548/iMacTM
Backup failed with error: 19"

So now it's time to try mounting the share with the regular Finder. I set Time Machine Backup Disk to None and unmount the iMacTM share by ejecting it in Path Finder.

Switching to the regular Finder (Go --> Connect To Server) I then remount the iMacTM share.

Back in Time Machine I select the backup disk to be the iMacTM share (again) and try the backup again - this time it works.

Here's the log:

"Starting standard backup Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://[email blocked]/iMacTM
Mounted network destination using URL: afp://[email blocked]/iMacTM
Creating disk image /Volumes/iMacTM-1/iMac.sparsebundle"

I've done some more testing which point towards this being a problem with Path Finder. Thought I'd spare you the gory details for now, but I can send the info separately if you want.

Can you guys reproduce this? I'd appreciate some feedback as this has taken a whole lot of time to figure out just to get my backup schedule working again. In case it's relevant, I've recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and also version 5.8.1 of Path Finder. Both Finder and Path Finder were running throughout.

1. 1 Posted by Mark Jones on 20 Apr, 2012 07:37 PM

Would you guys at cocoatech respond to this?

Thx

2. 2 Posted by Michael on 01 May, 2012 06:49 AM

Hi Mark,

I'm very sorry for the late reply, but unfortunately I'm going to have to ask you to hold on a bit longer. We're under tremendous load with the recent release of Path Finder 6 and need to handle an influx of license and billing issues before we get back to our usual support questions.

Please prod us again next week, hopefully we'll be under much less heavy load then.

3. Michael closed this discussion on 01 May, 2012 06:49 AM.

4. Michael re-opened this discussion on 01 May, 2012 06:49 AM

5. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 17 Sep, 2012 09:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac