can't delete items without authenticating

Frederick

10 Apr, 2012 01:56 PM

I have Path Finder 5.8.1 installed on Mac OS X 10.7.3. Now, whenever I attempt to delete something, the Mac OS is requiring me to authenticate (enter my user password) before it will dispose of the item. This happened to me once before, and I had a long conversation with Path Finder support, but I can't remember how it was resolved. This wasn't the case until a recent upgrade or fix to either Path Finder or Mac OS. Does anyone have suggestions for resolving this?

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 10 Apr, 2012 02:29 PM

First thing you should do is to check file permissions on one of those files (Get Info) and see if they're owned by you or root and if you have write permissions. Are those files in your boot disk, your user folder, external disk...?

For example, stock Apple apps like Safari, Mail, Preview are owned by root, by default so you'll be asked for your password if you try to delete them. The same happens with the System Library folder. If it's happening in your user folder or external disk, then it's a case of wrong permissions.

Try to run DIsk Utility and repair permissions, if it's a boot disk issue.

2. 2 Posted by Frederick on 10 Apr, 2012 03:07 PM

Thanks for the information. I ran the disk utility, and after it executed, I selected the option to repair disk permissions. After doing that, I tried to delete some innocuous file (a document that I had downloaded and that was sitting in my Downloads folder) and had the same result: The message reads "Path Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." I assume this message is coming from Mac OS. This is terribly frustrating. Should I reinstall Path Finder? Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Frederick on 10 Apr, 2012 03:10 PM

I executed the disk utility and selected the option to repair permissions. After completing this, I attempted to delete an innocuous file (a downloaded document that was sitting in my Downloads folder) and was once again prompted with the message "Path Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." I assume this message is coming from Mac OS. This is very frustrating. I seem to recall that I had to reinstall Path Finder the last time this happened. Should I do this again? Thanks.

4. 4 Posted by Frederick on 10 Apr, 2012 05:09 PM

Hi Damazio, I tried to delete something through Finder and had the same result. Obviously, this has everything to do with Mac OS and nothing to do with Path Finder. I will contact Apple. Grrrrrrrrr. Sometimes Apple does things that irritate me. Thanks.

5. Damazio closed this discussion on 14 Apr, 2012 09:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac