Emptying trash is now (v.6) very involved

Christopher Smith

30 Apr, 2012 05:13 PM

In version 5, when I chose to empty trash in Pathfinder, a dialog would appear, and when there were files that OS X doesn't want to delete, I was given several button choices, one of which (the default) was Skip. I could hit the Enter key as each dialog sheet came up, and empty most of my Trash (less the "stuck" files). When encoding for DVDs, as I do daily, .vaf files are generated which will refuse to delete until the next reboot.

Now in version 6, I choose to empty trash in Pathfinder, and balloon appears. The Skip button is no longer highlighted; instead the Stop button is!! So pressing Enter would stop the trash emptying, not at all the desired result. To make matters worse, the balloon doesn't consistently place the Skip button at the same vertical position on the screen. As the balloon for each "stuck" file appears, the Skip button might be found slightly up or down from the previous position.

QUESTION: Is it possible for me to configure the default button in the Empty Trash followup balloons? I often need to empty trash between reboots to clear up space on drives for more work!

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by attyinfo on 02 May, 2012 02:28 AM

I had a similar problem--albeit after a 48% deletion.
    Frankly, CocoaTech is not going to rewrite its program to help you in any timely fashion.

I suggest cleanmymac, a software program that I use: it can be set to monitor & alert to empty your trash at certain levels of fullness. (It's other features are useful, unobtrusive & work--so far! --with the unpredictable PF6.)

2. Brennan closed this discussion on 02 May, 2012 05:49 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac