Select & Trash & Reload Buttons on PF6

lryter

25 Apr, 2012 06:53 PM

I've placed both these buttons in the toolbar in PF6. I'm not sure if these behaviors are different from PF5 as I hadn't used them (all). But questions:

• Select Button does not seem to work as expected. Select a folder containing several zip files in column view. On extensions tab, ".zip" is in search box. Select or Select & Close does nothing. Tried "zip" as well with same result. Then tried selecting all files in that folder & repeat with "zip" in search box. Now it works. Seems like an extra step of having to select all files first. Should operate on files in selected folder.

• Trash Button shows only files in:
~/.Trash Not:
/Volumes/XXX/.Trashes/501 (as double-clicking Finder trash can would)

• Reload button:
Does it finally refresh the version info? (Major irritation with PF5 that it didn't.)

1. 1 Posted by Damazio on 03 Jul, 2012 09:01 PM

• I can confirm the Select button in Column View only works if you select a file (a folder doesn't work and it doesn't need to be all files) so, you can't just select a container folder with jpg files, for example. You have to actually select at least one jpg on the next column.

Don't know if this is a known limitation but I submitted a bug ticket anyway.

• The Finder Trash is a special (smart) folder (open it and call a Get Info) so, I'm not sure how this can implemented in Path Finder. Let's see if Dragan (dev) has some insight on this one.

• Last time I heard (from the old forums) is that version info can't be refreshed due to a OS X bug/limitation. Let's also see what Dragan thinks about this.

2. 2 Posted by lryter on 04 Jul, 2012 10:21 AM

Thanks very much for your timely response. ☺

Thanks for submitting bug reports to the devs. Can I do that directly? There are certainly other problems. Three more irritating ones I believe I reported in another thread:

• quite frequently copying an application and replacing an old one results in a broken icon. I either have to copy again 1-2 times or use touch, which only works sometimes.

• Using "Reveal in Path Finder" via an Applescript always opens the folder in List view despite the fact that "as Columns" is selected in the View menu. The corresponding hot key (cmd-F1) has the same problem.

• the PF5 feature to auto-dismiss DMG license windows is sorely missed.

Now regarding the Finder Trash, couldn't Path Finder just list the trash folders for all mounted volumes?

Regarding the refresh issue: I don't see how this could be an OS X bug. You can get an applications version info correctly even via applescript:

set v to version of application id "com.cocoatech.pathfinder"

3. 3 Posted by Damazio on 06 Jul, 2012 02:19 AM

• When this happens, the icon doesn't get broken, it just fails to refresh properly. If you relaunch Path Finder, the icon will be intact. For the record this is a system wide bug and I've seen it happen In Finder and on the Dock.

• There was an option in v5 to always open folders in Column View but it's now missing in v6. in v6, it opens folders in List View, by default, but some users reported that if you had the above option enabled in v5 it would carry on onto v6. Dragan (dev) has been notified about this thread, let's see if he knows if this setting can be enabled manually on the property list file.

• Despite there's a way to skip disk image verification and the opening of Finder windows when mounting, I also miss the mentioned setting and I can't find a terminal command around the web to disable it. Not sure how Steve did it in v5.

Sorry about the late response but there's been thousands of posts in 3 months, since v6 launched, with a staff of 2, then 3 and recently 4 (plus me, as a volunteer) to deal with all of them.

Bug reports should be posted in this forum as you correctly did, and then, upon examination and testing, only the staff can issue real tickets to the devs (you can see on the right section of this page, a ticket currently submitted with the number 124).

Let's wait for Dragan to have a word on the application version issue. It's something that I also would love to see working. After all, I'm also a user.

4. 4 Posted by lryter on 06 Jul, 2012 10:44 AM

ok thanks. the only thing i'd add at this point is regarding the broken app icon issue. while i've also seen this in the finder and the dock, it is extremely rare. with PF5 it happened I'd say maybe 20% of the time. with PF6 it's surely 50% or more.

oh and also, regarding the "open in column view" setting carrying over from PF5, that does not appear to be the case for me. that was definitely enabled in PF5.

5. 5 Posted by lryter on 07 Dec, 2012 08:35 PM

well just about 6 months later and a recent release the other day, and none of these issues have been addressed. disappointing.

6. Cocoatech closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 10:48 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac