Module issues update -- some progress, maybe?

mwoffenden

13 Apr, 2022 07:17 PM

This is why I left the product years ago. Too many unsolved bugs.

The modules are an unmitigated disaster.

• Settings are regularly lost.

• Multiple modules don't play together.

• Modules collapse without warning

• Between restarts don't remember their settings

And on and on.

What a mess.

Do the developers plan to fix the modules????

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 13 Apr, 2022 07:50 PM

HI mwoffenden,

We have a few other reports that custom settings of sidebar and other modules, including their settings and arrangement within the window, randomly resets sometimes to default values, especially when opening new browser windows. So far we couldn't reproduce it, but I'm looking hard into what could be causing this random resets custom settings resets. As soon as I figure it our and fix it, the fix will be available in a regular update.

Can you please provide some more details about what exactly you do when this issues happen. I'd appreciate some clear steps to reproduce it and hence fix it. So far I haven't' been able to do so.

Thanks for your understanding, support and patience.

Best,
    -- Dragan

2. 2 Posted by mwoffenden on 13 Apr, 2022 08:37 PM

Dragan,

It's just in the normal course of usage. If you use the product for any length of time, you're bound to run into the issues.

• Settings are regularly lost: For example: Restarting PF sometimes makes all settings go back to default.

• Multiple modules don't play together: For example: More than one module in a shelf makes the others behave badly. Such as, cannot set the size of a module, modules collapse etc.

• Modules collapse without warning: Self explanatory. After restart of PF they stop errant collapsing.

• Between restarts PF sometimes forgets ALL module settings: Self explanatory. Occasional but sure is annoying when it happens.

Other parts of PF seem fairly stable. I think modules are the biggest annoyance overall, they are so messed up that I've decided not to customize anything, as I know the settings will get lost!

My computer specs:

macOS Big Sur
    Version 11.6.5 (20G527)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Just try using PF all day, every day, as I do and I am sure many people do. You'll see the issues.

Michael

3. 3 Posted by bulkmail75 on 13 Apr, 2022 10:09 PM

opening a new path finder window resets modules to the left side and moving doesnt work, its just best not to use them.
    The modules worked well years ago before they changed it. PF9?

4. 4 Posted by mwoffenden on 14 Apr, 2022 07:52 PM

At this time I am in trial and error mode. My current trial is as follows:

• Leave left shelf with only one module: Sidebar - leaving the defaults on

• Add Info and Drop Stack to bottom shelf - defaults

• Add Preview on right shelf - defaults

So far PF is handling this setup, after a few hours and a few restarts.

Stay tuned!

5. 5 Posted by mwoffenden on 16 Apr, 2022 02:32 PM

Update 2022-04-16, maybe some progress

After a few days of not touching the module layout, PF is behaving. I keep turning to PF since it's UI is way better than Finder. Also things that should be super simple in finder, such as adding new favorites to the sidebar, are easy in PF.

Just wish the modules were not such a mess, that is, they cannot be explored and used to their fullest, because the settings get confused and lost too easily.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Dragan on 16 Apr, 2022 03:07 PM

I will definitely look into what could be causing those random annoying issues. You stay tuned as well!

Cheers,
    -- Dragan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac