Path Finder Subscription

bob.deskin

15 Feb, 2022 06:26 PM

I do not like subscription software except in very rare circumstances. A subscription implies that the software stops working at the end of the subscription. I might have considered it if the price had stayed the same but it took a significant increase with no upgrade discount for those of use who have used Path Finder for many years. It's too bad, but I don't see enough in this upgrade to justify a subscription at that price. I guess I'll just keep using Path Finder 10 until I can find an alternative or it stops working.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 15 Apr, 2022 12:38 PM

Hi Bob,

I sincerely apologise for such delayed response, I was browsing through old issues and only now this has come to my intention. Sorry about that…

You've probably figured it out by now, but I'll say in anyway… For the new versions of Path Finder (as of version 2121, released mid-February), we introduced licensing based on subscription. You can find all details in the Registration window, clicking on Buy Path Finder.

We're really sorry we had to introduce those changes, but that was necessary to continue with sustainable business, as times for the small independent software companies are constantly getting tougher.

You can use your existing PF10 license with newer versions of Path Finder until it's one year old. Only then you'll need to purchase the subscription, but only if you want to use latest versions. However, with your PF10 license you can continue using version 10 indefinitely.

If you want to continue Path Finder 10 but you don't have it anymore, you can download it on our support page, just scroll down and you'll see it.

If you decided to leave, we're sorry you feel that way. If you ever decide to come back, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Thanks for your understanding, support and patience.

Best,
    -- Dragan

2. 2 Posted by bob.deskin on 15 Apr, 2022 12:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. There's another thread regarding this topic although the comments are pretty much the same. I certainly understand the cost of development and the reason why many developers are going the subscription route.

My number one concern is that the software stops working if I stop paying the subscription. I don't mind paying an annual fee for updates and new features. However, I don't think the software should stop working if I decide not to continue the subscription. That's renting not subscribing.

If you made this one change, I think you'd get many people back.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 15 Apr, 2022 01:16 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comment and suggestions. We'll definitely take them into consideration. I'd just like to mention that, like it always has been, once Path Finder becomes unregistered, it will stay fully functional, but you'll get that "annoyance" panel that your trial has expired every time you launch Path Finder.

Best,
    -- Dragan

4. Dragan closed this discussion on 15 Apr, 2022 01:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac