Repeat of earlier "Sidebar" duplication

arkansastraveler

13 Dec, 2021 09:09 PM

I asked for help with this problem on Jul 14, 21:https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/188353-sidebar-m...
Now seeing the same thing in v10.2 (2098). See image:

1. 1 Posted by arkansastravele... on 13 Jan, 2022 10:18 PM

Hope everyone had a safe and merry Christmas! New Year is official, I think...

Been a month since I opened this. Any progress you are willing to share?

2. 2 Posted by arkansastravele... on 20 Jan, 2022 10:39 PM

I'm a bit surprised that there seems to be no reply from Support. I can see that at least some are back from Christmas/New Year break. But I'd really like to get rib of the 'extra' column that has no Module label. It is nearly the same as the "Sidecar" module but it does not contain the "Shared" section.

Do you need more info? Just let me know.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Jan, 2022 01:36 PM

Hi there,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

I am sorry for the following inconvenience. It seems like your email was filtered on our end.

The following issue was reported in previous versions, however, we fixed an update to it some months ago.

I want to ask you to do something to help me debug this issue, as I can't reproduce it:

1. Quit Path Finder and go to folder HOME_FOLDER/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings. There, you'll see three files: settings9, settings9-shm and settings9-wal. Zip those three files in an archive and keep it somewhere.

2. Trash those three files. Then launch Path Finder and see whether it solved the problem. Please note this action will discard all your modules custom settings.

3. Quit Path Finder. The new versions of above-mentioned setting files were created. Trash them too and extract archived files back. Launch Path Finder again and see if the problem still persist.

4. Regardless of whether the problem persists or not, remove almost all items from Favorites in your sidebar. Leave there only a few standard ones, let's say Home, Desktop and Documents. Then again relaunch Path Finder and see if the problem persist.

5. If the problem is still there, archive again now this new version (with the majority of the sidebar items removed) of all three settings files in another archive and attach it here, so we can download it and investigate.

This should help us to trace the cause of the problem. You don't have to worry about privacy, those files don't contain any sensitive information, just your module settings (colors, font types and sized and similar).

Thanks for your time, effort and support.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2022 01:36 PM.

5. arkansastraveler re-opened this discussion on 21 Jan, 2022 09:28 PM

6. 4 Posted by arkansastravele... on 21 Jan, 2022 09:28 PM

I decided to use the steps above but apply them to the 'settings10...' files.

First start after deleting those 'settings10...' files, PF opened without the extra UN-titled Side Bar! PERFECT! 👏

It also maintained all the "Favorites" that were in Finder. In step 4 above, you asked to leave "only a few" things in "Favorites". I had done that in both the Side Bars in PathFinder. But I did NOT remove anything from Finder Side Bar. However, it appears that PF is designed to use many of those items from Finder Side Bar. There are a few in PF that are NOT in Finder: iCloud Drive, AirDrop, Movies, Downloads and Music. Most of the ones I had added to PF are still there and I can re-install those that are not.

I think my version of PF 10.2 (2098) was possibly getting 'confused' by having the version 9 settings file still around. I would have assumed those settings*X* names would have been hard coded in the app, but maybe not.

I'll simply have to remember that archiving prefs and removing them from their default location works in PF just like it does in many other apps. The hard part is determining which files are needed; in PF they are "settings...". In older versions, I think the app still used ".plist" files. Of course, OS changes have made "standard" locations to change sometimes. 🤔

7. 5 Posted by arkansastravele... on 21 Jan, 2022 09:31 PM

Problem solved. I'm going to hit the "Close" link!
    Thanks, again, for the support and a usable solution! 😀

8. arkansastraveler closed this discussion on 21 Jan, 2022 09:31 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 22 Jan, 2022 10:58 AM

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Jan, 2022 10:58 AM

Hi there,

Great to hear that it worked!

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Jan, 2022 10:58 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac