Copying from one external Drive to a second is slower than with FINDER

Mike Ostrovljanovic

11 Oct, 2021 08:48 AM

Hi there, I am experiencing that copying from one external drive to another one is significant slower than using finder.
How come?

I use a Macbook M1 with 16GB Ram and I have a NVME 1TB USB-C Harddrive and the second is a Thunderbolt NVME 2TB Harddrive.
when I copy in finder I get speeds of about 920MB/sec. In Pathfinder I get 420MB/sec its 50% slower.
Using the latest Version of Pathfinder 10.2 (2098)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dragan on 12 Apr, 2022 11:45 AM

Hi Mike,

I sincerely apologise for such delayed response, I was browsing through old issues and only now this has come to my intention. Sorry about that…

We have some other users noticing slow(er) file copying to and from external drives of particular type. They notice that if they compare copying speed of the same files in Finder. I managed to reproduce the issue on some of my disks. The long story is this…

Path Finder uses standard file system API for copying/moving files, the ones recommended by Apple. We also tried to optimise it and make it as efficient as possible. However, the only way we managed to match Finder speed in ALL circumstances was using some old and deprecated APIs. Path Finder used to use those as well, but we stopped since they were deprecated about 10 years ago and they don't work properly anymore.

We will try to improve copying speed on different external volumes as much as we can. At the moment any of those improvements is available, we will release it in our regular updates.

Thanks for your understanding, support and patience.

Best,
    -- Dragan

2. 2 Posted by Mike Ostrovljan... on 12 Apr, 2022 03:14 PM

HI, thanks for coming back to me on this.
    Yeah the “lack” of speed makes it difficult for me to varrant an update since I dont use pathfinder so much anymore because I am faster copying with normal finder. :/
    Very rare occasions where I use path finder only because of the queue copying.

But thanks for your reply. Hope it will be soon faster again. Let me know then I probably update :)

Greetings,
    Mike

> On 12. Apr 2022, at 14:45, Dragan <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > From: Dragan (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Copying from one external Drive to a second is slower than with FINDER
    >
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I sincerely apologise for such delayed response, I was browsing through old issues and only now this has come to my intention. Sorry about that…
    >
    > We have some other users noticing slow(er) file copying to and from external drives of particular type. They notice that if they compare copying speed of the same files in Finder. I managed to reproduce the issue on some of my disks. The long story is this…
    >
    > Path Finder uses standard file system API for copying/moving files, the ones recommended by Apple. We also tried to optimise it and make it as efficient as possible. However, the only way we managed to match Finder speed in ALL circumstances was using some old and deprecated APIs. Path Finder used to use those as well, but we stopped since they were deprecated about 10 years ago and they don't work properly anymore.
    >
    > We will try to improve copying speed on different external volumes as much as we can. At the moment any of those improvements is available, we will release it in our regular updates.
    >
    > Thanks for your understanding, support and patience.
    >
    > Best,
    > -- Dragan
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/193033-copying-from-one-external-drive-to-a-second-is-slower-than-with-finder
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >
    > If you'd like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click here: https://u7455.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/unsubscribe?upn=J7BMjmphfhURckvzxSDMhBv9DfBB7b9OlH-2Fi1Bx5ZswNmI9elLtZxw8DRz1gRTWRu2-2BOvhzcvlVyUd68czCRTNHiXkQfIoGFxc4DBSGfHYMCzH050eVyfGpKw7GCjFiVVUaTbKhSV1FVmc6mxj0TNEGsQjHvjcz4sayA7eBTcHBwKNFq1K2-2FDPjb3vBsUOV-2BwPCMTr9Pjx1VrGt1N8yruZ3j-2FM1FJbEguCfc-2B2qT5q8-3D.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dragan on 12 Apr, 2022 04:55 PM

All I can do it to promise I'll really do my best to improve it.

Thanks for your understanding.

4. 4 Posted by Mike Ostrovljan... on 12 Apr, 2022 04:58 PM

Thanks!

Looking forward to it :)

Ps. When your email came I was a bit surprised, my dads Name is also Dragan :)

> On 12. Apr 2022, at 19:55, Dragan <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > From: Dragan (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Copying from one external Drive to a second is slower than with FINDER
    >
    > All I can do it to promise I'll really do my best to improve it.
    >
    > Thanks for your understanding.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/193033-copying-from-one-external-drive-to-a-second-is-slower-than-with-finder
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.
    >
    > If you'd like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click here: https://u7455.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/unsubscribe?upn=J7BMjmphfhURckvzxSDMhBv9DfBB7b9OlH-2Fi1Bx5ZswVyO-2BCiYGMwCO-2FWIHPo9-2BjsVLzLEHKlL8TiclvC60XKfX00ZFyc4EK8BWiF-2BPxu6nU9nS1VHuA4Y58nBF0gykA8ShqXg0deP2a-2BKEjBr8zO5gTxvKN58ubuSiKcIR9NC2jqO5NgAy3ECkMD3XE4N47QIqx45JcvdGP3wze7JNSgL7lYfLjjW8N4Z9XIyKm7bo-3D.

5. Dragan closed this discussion on 12 Apr, 2022 05:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac