100% cpu usage and no response, I had to kill the process manually.

gfgkmn

08 Oct, 2021 10:43 AM

As you know, it's a very notorious problem. Still, the problem is not easy to reproduce, So I think you guys may need more information to fix it.

My system version is MACOS Big Sur 11.6, and the pathfinder version is 10.2(2098)

I have been your sincere customer for at least five years. I have used versions 7, 8, 9, 10. but sometimes, when I navigate into some deeper folder as attachment 1, pathfinder will be stuck. And the CPU usage will become 98%, 99%, or 100%. The worse is it didn't respond to any action. So I had to force kill the process through activity monitor or command Kill.

I had tried to disable some Quicklook functions such as "colorize syntax." but the problem remains.
By the way, the folder path in attachment one didn't contain any text file. All files are jpg.

I also uploaded sample process logs that are logging during the problem occurs in the hope that it could help your engineers to fix this bug.

This bug is very stubborn. It has existed for a very long time; I am waiting for your news.

1. 1 Posted by gfgkmn on 08 Oct, 2021 10:56 AM

By the way, the function "calculate all size" had been disabled already.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 May, 2022 03:35 PM

Hi, 

I am sorry for such a delayed response. We receive a higher amount of queries right now which makes it harder to respond to everyone in a timely manner.

First of all, thanks for reporting such issue!

I am here to let you know that indeed, back in early Path Finder 8 we've had some CPU usage issues, however, our developer was able to get it under control and fix the issue.

Sometimes, however, isolated cases of high CPU usage occur, but it can easily be lowered.

In this case, make sure to follow the suggestions to reduce the CPU usage:
    1) Choose any .txt file, open Preview module preferences (gear button next to its header) and uncheck "Colorize syntax". 
    2) Restore defaults for View Settings (CMD+J). Make sure to have "Calculate all sizes" unchecked here. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Uli
    Path Finder Support Team

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 May, 2022 03:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac