Forced to authenticate when moving files

jdguilty

22 May, 2021 12:34 PM

When I attempt to move a file from my Desktop to one of my external drives I get a dialog box that states I don't have sufficient permissions to write to the drive. I've followed the instructions in a previous discussion/thread (https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/179842-authentic...), but that hasn't helped.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 May, 2021 07:01 PM

Hi there, 

Can you please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Make sure that Path Finder is located in the Applications folder
      (in case you are using macOS Mojave) Use System Preferences > Security & Privacy > grant Full Disk Access to Path Finder

2. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:

xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

1. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your Path Finder now and try performing the actions once again.

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2021 07:01 PM.

3. jdguilty re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2021 09:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by jdguilty on 24 May, 2021 09:38 PM

I've followed the instructions as mentioned above, but I'm still getting the Authenticate dialog box when attempting to move a file from my Desktop to my external drive. Please advise as to what additional steps can be taken to rectify this.

5. 3 Posted by jdguilty on 02 Jun, 2021 09:02 PM

Any update on this?

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 07 Jun, 2021 12:08 PM

Hi there,

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please share with us the permissions you have listed in Path Finder for your external drive? You can check it under Get info; simply right-click the drive > Get Info > expand and make a screenshot of your permission module.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Jun, 2021 12:08 PM.

8. jdguilty re-opened this discussion on 07 Jun, 2021 01:57 PM

9. 5 Posted by jdguilty on 07 Jun, 2021 01:57 PM

Screenshot attached as requested.

10. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 17 Jun, 2021 09:34 AM

Hi there,

I appreciate the screenshot! Would you mind providing us with the same screenshot of your Get info of the same folder in your Finder? It might be that additional steps on to repair your permissions would be needed.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Jun, 2021 09:34 AM.

12. jdguilty re-opened this discussion on 17 Jun, 2021 01:30 PM

13. 7 Posted by jdguilty on 17 Jun, 2021 01:30 PM

Screenshot attached as requested.

14. Support Staff 8 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jul, 2021 04:57 PM

Hi, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

Can you please specify if the following issue still persists once you update your Path Finder 10 to the latest version available, e.g. 10.1.1?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2021 04:57 PM.

16. jdguilty re-opened this discussion on 20 Jul, 2021 10:32 PM

17. 9 Posted by jdguilty on 20 Jul, 2021 10:32 PM

I am running the latest version of Path Finder, 10.1.1, and unfortunately it's still happening.

18. 10 Posted by fogcitynative on 20 Jul, 2021 11:41 PM

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, except it isn't moving files to an external drive but moving an application to a folder named GAMES inside the Applications Folder.

I also get the authentication request after restarts for Dropbox.

I also get the authentication request for trying to delete files from my user library, but this one may be normal.

I am the only user of the machine, and of course, the administrator.

The only impact is one of annoyance. Deleting is only moving it to the trash. If I discover a mistake, I can retrieve the file from the trash. I can also get the file from my TM backup.

Why the overly strict requests for authentication in PathFinder.

So now you have two users of Path Finder 10.1.1 reporting the same bug.

I think it is time to stop looking for user errors, permission or configuration problems on our end and send this up to the developer to add to his or her pile of bugs, so it can be resolved. Two user reports of the same bug are usually enough confirmation. Since most users will just enter the requested password out of habit, not realizing it should not be happening.

Good news about 10.1.1 is that all the bugs so far are annoyance bugs.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac