Path Finder 10.0.4 iPhone device not showing up

peter.ledwon

10 May, 2021 05:18 PM

When I first upgraded, my iPhone 6 showed up once in the sidebar, under Devices. I disconnected it and plugged in my iPhone 12. It would not show up. I reconnected my iPhone 6. It did not show up. I restarted Path Finder, but nothing. I rebooted (OS X 10 13.6) with the iPhone attached. Nothing. I tried two other household iPhones, No go. I rebooted again. Nothing.

External drives are set to show up in the sidebar., and all other devices I've connected show up as expected.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 May, 2021 09:16 AM

Hi Peter,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

May I ask you to follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces via AppCleaner
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site
    3. Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests

Please note that the uninstallation disregards all preferences you have set on your end. If you’d like to save them, make sure to navigate to the following path and copy both preference file and folder to the safe location.

~/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder) ~/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list) 

Once you re-install your app, replace the new files in the same location, with a previously saved files.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 May, 2021 09:16 AM.

3. peter.ledwon re-opened this discussion on 15 May, 2021 10:11 PM

4. 2 Posted by peter.ledwon on 15 May, 2021 10:11 PM

Hi Mary;

Without making any of the changes you asked for, I closed Path Finder, the rebooted the iMac again, having iPhone 6 connected. The phone did show up. I disconnected it and plugged in the iPhone 12. It did not. I unplugged it and plugged the iPhone 6 back in again to see if that worked. It did not.

I then quit Path Finder and reopened it. The iPhone showed up. I disconnected it, then shut down Path Finder, and reconnected the iPhone 12. Reopening Path Finder, it showed up. I could make either phone show up if I had it connected before restarting down Path Finder. I could not get it to recognize a second phone without the Path Finder shut down process.

I then followed the instructions suggested:

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces via AppCleaner
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site
    3. Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests

Please note that the uninstallation disregards all preferences you have set on your end. If you’d like to save them, make sure to navigate to the following path and copy both preference file and folder to the safe location.

~/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder)
    ~/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list)

Once you re-install your app, replace the new files in the same location, with a previously saved files.

Before replacing my saved settings and pref files, I opened the newly downloaded Path Finder.

The iPhone showed up. I disconnected it, then connected it again. Nothing. I connected another iPhone. Still nothing. When I restarted Path Finder with a phone connected, it was there.

I shut down Path Finder, disconnected the phone and started Path Finder up before connecting either phone. Neither would show up using this sequence.

I did several permutations of connecting, disconnecting, shutting down and starting up, but it was always the same:

If I have a phone connected before starting Path Finder. It will show up. Once disconnected, neither it nor any other will show up again.

If I have a phone connected before and during a Path Finder reboot, it will show up. It will be the only phone to show up until another Path Finder restart.

Regards.

Peter

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac