Backup drive does not display any files in PF 10.0.4

Klaus Kastner

08 May, 2021 07:21 PM

My external HD of 2 GB is partitioned into 2 volumes of 1 GB each. Both volumes used to show up on the sidebar. Suddenly, after an Apple software update, only one of the two shows up. On Finder both volumes show up and both volumes are working. What should I do?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 May, 2021 09:12 AM

Hi Klaus,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

Make sure you have checked in to display your external drives in your Path Finder by hovering your mouse over the left top side of Sidebar module > click on three-dot button > click on Devices button > check mark the ones you'd like to display.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 May, 2021 09:12 AM.

3. Klaus Kastner re-opened this discussion on 10 May, 2021 05:38 PM

4. 2 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 10 May, 2021 05:38 PM

Dear Mary,

while trying to implement your suggestion, I seem to have caused another problem, perhaps even a bigger one. I must have accidentally closed the sidebar and now it is gone. I can’t find it anywhere and I could not find any clue in internet forums.

Can you possibly help me???

Best regards, Klaus

PS: in case it is lost forever, could I re-install it from the Time Machine?

Am 10.05.2021 um 11:12 schrieb Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:

Subject: External hard drive doesn't show up in sidebar

Hi Klaus,

Make sure you have checked in to display your external drives in your Path Finder by hovering your mouse over the left top side of Sidebar module > click on three-dot button > click on Devices button > check mark the ones you'd like to display.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/185527-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-in-sidebar

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. 3 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 11 May, 2021 07:13 PM

I have a 4 TB external drive partitioned into two of 2 TB each, one for the Time Machine and the other one for regular files. Both are formatted identically (APFS, coded, cap's and small letters). The device for regular files shows all contents. The device for the Time Machine does not show any content but content is there (I can tell how much storage is used). The interesting thing is that when I open the device with Finder, I can see all the content.

What seems to be the problem?

6. 4 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 12 May, 2021 12:26 PM

Hi Mary:

I have now managed to the external HD to show up under devices.Thank you for your suggestion. Here is my new problem: I have a 4 TB external drive partitioned into two of 2 TB each, one for the Time Machine and the other one for regular files. Both are formatted identically (APFS, coded, cap's and small letters). The device for regular files shows all contents. The device for the Time Machine does not show any content but content is there (I can tell how much storage is used). The interesting thing is that when I open the device with Finder, I can see all the content.

What seems to be the problem?

Regards, Klaus

Am 10.05.2021 um 11:12 schrieb Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:

Hi Klaus,

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/185527-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-in-sidebar

---

7. 5 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 13 May, 2021 06:56 AM

Sorry, you did not solve my problem. My external HD is checked under devices and it shows up in the sidebar. However, it does not show the content which is on it. It shows no content whatsoever (but I can see the content on Finder).

Klaus

8. 6 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 13 May, 2021 07:43 AM

No content shows up whereas in actual fact 378 GB are used.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 May, 2021 09:41 AM

Hi Klaus,

Could you please re-connect your external drive, relaunch Path Finder and check if the issue persists?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 May, 2021 09:41 AM.

11. Klaus Kastner re-opened this discussion on 18 May, 2021 10:40 AM

12. 8 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 18 May, 2021 10:40 AM

Hi Mary,

below you can see the 2 partitions of my external HD („Backup TM 2“ and „My External Mac“). „My External Mac“ is ok and it shows the content of the HD. „Backup TM 2“ is not ok. When a backup is in progress, it shows as indicated below. When there is no backup in progress, it shows nothing. I reconnected the external HD and relaunched Pathfinder but the problem persisted.

Curiously, I do not have that problem with Finder. There, both partitions show up as well as their content.

Regards, Klaus

Am 18.05.2021 um 11:41 schrieb Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:

Hi Klaus,

Could you please re-connect your external drive, relaunch Path Finder and check if the issue persists?

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

---

13. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 19 Jun, 2021 12:26 PM

Hi Klaus,

I appreciate the screenshot and the explanations. While an issue of non-displaying of backups is already passed to our developer, we have not encountered any reports of such drive behavior you have reported and therefore, we would ask you to send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file. This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Jun, 2021 12:26 PM.

15. Klaus Kastner re-opened this discussion on 22 Jun, 2021 07:57 AM

16. 10 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 22 Jun, 2021 07:57 AM

Hi Mary,

enclosed is the file which I produced according to your instructions. I hope I did it right. If not, please let me know.

Klaus

17. Support Staff 11 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Jun, 2021 02:01 PM

Hi Klaus, 

Thank you for the sample! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Jun, 2021 02:01 PM.

19. Klaus Kastner re-opened this discussion on 23 Jun, 2021 04:41 PM

20. 12 Posted by Klaus Kastner on 23 Jun, 2021 04:41 PM

Hi Mary,

just to confirm to you - the problem persists. When I click on the „Backup TM 1“ (Time Machine), it shows no content. When I click on „My Passport“ (the same external HD), it shows content. On Finder both show content.

Klaus

Am 22.06.2021 um 17:01 schrieb Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for the sample!

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue.

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

---

21. Support Staff 13 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 Jun, 2021 08:03 AM

Hi Klaus,

I appreciate the update. Your query is passed to our developer already. Once there are any news on this matter, he will be able to reach out to you directly via email.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

22. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Jun, 2021 08:03 AM.

23. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Jun, 2021 02:48 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac