Browsers not saving

mpmclane

30 Apr, 2021 12:54 AM

Browser windows are not saving at all. Nor does the default browser window.
I have one saved browser window in addition to the default browser window. I have multiple desktop spaces.
If I close all windows in a space, then open a new window from either browser, it is a plain browser with no shelfs. If I configure it with modules, then open a new browser from either saved browser or default, the new window will look like the one that is already open. This behavior is independent of Spaces. If I have a browser window open with side shelf and a bottom shelf, for instance, and go to a new space and open a window, it opens a plain window in column view with no sidebar or panels. If I put a module in that window, the next window will mimic it. The plain windows don't even have shelves to open, there are no modules. Very frustrating. I am spending more time dealing with PF than getting work done to pay for the app.

I have quit PF, restarted, removed the app with AppDelete, reinstalled, same thing.

1. 1 Posted by mpmclane on 30 Apr, 2021 12:57 AM

And, when I have a window open with a sidebar shelf, I get this when I open a new window.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 May, 2021 02:10 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 May, 2021 02:11 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 May, 2021 02:11 PM

Hi Michael,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, thanks for reporting this to us, and I am sorry for the inconvenience you experience.

May I ask you to follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces via AppCleaner
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site
    3. Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests

Please note that the uninstallation disregards all preferences you have set on your end. If you’d like to save them, make sure to navigate to the following path and copy both preference file and folder to the safe location.

~/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder) ~/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list) 

Once you re-install your app, replace the new files in the same location, with a previously saved files.

Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 May, 2021 02:11 PM.

6. mpmclane re-opened this discussion on 02 May, 2021 01:20 PM

7. 3 Posted by mpmclane on 02 May, 2021 01:20 PM

No. That did not solve the problem. This is very frustrating. If I close every browser window, then open a new one, I get a plain window, no panels, no modules. Anytime I open a new window, whether from the default or a saved, it simply mimics the currently active window. A very poor experience.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 May, 2021 01:58 PM

Hi Michael,

I want to ask you to do something to help me debug this issue, as I can't reproduce it:

1. Quit Path Finder and go to folder HOME_FOLDER/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings. There, you'll see three files: settings9, settings9-shm and settings9-wal. Zip those three files in an archive and keep it somewhere.

2. Trash those three files. Then launch Path Finder and see whether it solved the problem. Please note this action will discard all your modules custom settings.

3. Quit Path Finder. The new versions of above mentioned setting files were created. Trash them too and extract archived files back. Launch Path Finder again and see if the problem still persist.

4. Regardless of whether the problem persists or not, remove almost all items from Favorites in your sidebar. Leave there only a few standard ones, let's say Home, Desktop and Documents. Then again relaunch Path Finder and see if the problem persist.

5. If the problem is still there, archive again now this new version (with the majority of sidebar items removed) of all three settings files in another archive and attach it here, so we can download it and investigate.

This should help us to trace the cause of the problem. You don't have to worry about privacy, those files don't contain any sensitive information, just your module settings (colors, font types and sized and similar).

Thanks for your time, effort and support!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 May, 2021 01:58 PM.

10. mpmclane re-opened this discussion on 04 May, 2021 02:31 PM

11. 5 Posted by mpmclane on 04 May, 2021 02:31 PM

None of that worked. I have tried it on two different machines running Catalina and Big Sur. I have tried in Safe Mode on Catalina. Still, the problem persists. Attached are the files.

12. 6 Posted by mpmclane on 06 May, 2021 01:36 AM

I have a MacBook Pro that I did a clean install of Big Sur on today. The first thing I did was install PathFinder to see if this problem would be resolved. It was not. No browsers are saved, not even the default browser seems to be saved - no side bar. Every new browser window simple mimics the currently open window. It does seem that, when no windows are open, it will remember the state of the last window that was open and mimic that window when opening a new one. No matter which saved window I open. Used to be, that if none are open, then it is a plain window, no sidebar, no shelves, no modules. But, even that is not consistent, it seems.

13. 7 Posted by mpmclane on 14 May, 2021 01:37 PM

Has there been any progress on this? It has been 9 days.

14. 8 Posted by mpmclane on 15 May, 2021 11:30 AM

Really, at this point, I would be happy if there were a way to just get PF to remember the default browser window.

15. Support Staff 9 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 May, 2021 12:00 PM

Hi Michael, 

I am sorry for the delayed response. It seems like your email landed in our Spam folder.

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. Once there is any news on this matter available from our developer, he will notify you via email.

I would appreciate if you can send us over the screen recording of the issue you experience, so then, I can also include it into escalation.

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 May, 2021 12:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac