Module width lost after restarting pathfinder

peter

14 Apr, 2021 07:39 PM

I have been running PF 10 on Mojave without many problems since PF10 was released. I have just upgraded the system to Big Sur.
- Pathfinder Version 10.0.3 (2089) - OS Big Sur 11.2.3 In the bottom shelf, I have 4 modules [Left to Right : Permissions / Attributes / Preview / Hex]. When I restart PF, the width of the modules is lost, they all bunch up on the left with minimum width so that I have to resize them after the restart. (NB: This doesnt always happen 100% of the time but it does happen more frequently than 1:3 times.)

The resizing of the module width problem seems to go away if I remove the Hex module.
In additionn, on occasion when I add the Hex module, the width of the other modules is resized to minimum, and it subsequently becomes impossible to change the width of those modules.

These resizing issues did not occur with PF10 on Mojave.

A separate issue with the Hex module is that if you select a file on a volume (so that the hex data of the file is displayed), even if you subsequently change the focus of the pannel to another volume, it becomes impossible to eject that volume. You have to shutdown PF10 before the volume containing the file you inspected is freed up for ejection. This issue occurred both on Mojave and Big Sur.

Hopefully these issues can be adressed.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Apr, 2021 10:27 AM

Hi Peter,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, thanks for reporting! I want to ask you to do something to help me debug this issue, as I can't reproduce it:

1. Quit Path Finder and go to folder HOME_FOLDER/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings. There, you'll see three files: settings9, settings9-shm and settings9-wal. Zip those three files in an archive and keep it somewhere.

2. Trash those three files. Then launch Path Finder and see whether it solved the problem. Please note this action will discard all your modules custom settings.

3. Quit Path Finder. The new versions of above mentioned setting files were created. Trash them too and extract archived files back. Launch Path Finder again and see if the problem still persist.

4. Regardless of whether the problem persists or not, remove almost all items from Favorites in you sidebar. Leave there only a few standard ones, let's say Home, Desktop and Documents. Then again relaunch Path Finder and see if the problem persist.

5. If the problem is still there, archive again now this new version (with majority of sidebar items removed) of all three settings files in another archive and attach it here so we can download it and investigate.

This should help us to trace the cause of the problem. You don't have to worry about privacy, those files don't contain any sensitive information, just your module settings (colours, font types and sized and similar).

Thanks for your time, effort and support.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Apr, 2021 10:27 AM.

3. peter re-opened this discussion on 20 Apr, 2021 11:35 AM

4. 2 Posted by peter on 20 Apr, 2021 11:35 AM

Dear Mary,

Thanks for your response.

I read the forum / knowledge-base before I contacted you and completed the steps below. They had no effect on the problem I described to you.

I have completed the steps again for your convenience and attached the settings files in the attached archive. Note that I am running Pathfinder Version 10.0.3 (2089) so the settings files are not settings9, settings9-shm and settings9-wal, but settings10 etc.

I am running MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91).

As indicated in my initial report, I completed further investigation, and localised the problem to being caused by the HEX module. If the Hex module is present, the module widths often resize, if it's not present, they never resize.

Best regards,
    Peter.

5. 3 Posted by Chad on 27 Apr, 2021 07:45 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem. Path Finder ver 9.4, Big Sur. Longtime user.

6. 4 Posted by Philipp on 28 Apr, 2021 03:49 PM

Same here.
    I'm using dual pane view with 4 bottom shelfes (two for each pane - file preview and file info).
    PF (neither Version 9 nor Version 10) doesn't keep the width settings for the 4 parts.
    There's NO difference if I start with a complete clean install or if I delete the preferences or if I do an update from an older version.
    (buy the way: guys, please stop asking for deleting the preferences every time. It's a lot of work to re-set all the settings I'm using. I most cases that does NOT solve the problems but keeps your users busy ;-)). From my point of view Cocatech has to do a general manufactoring of the behaviour of the bottom shelves.
    It's completely annoying that you can't bind them to panes (like you could with PF8 and below) and the actual loss of the width information is annoying. In some cases I can't even change the sizes to the desired ones, they always jump back to the size they had before. Or you change the size of one but another one is changing. At least the 4-bottom-shelfes-thing is very, very bugy.
    Maybe ypu should do some serius investigations on this...

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 May, 2021 02:00 PM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 May, 2021 02:02 PM

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 04 May, 2021 02:02 PM

Hi everyone,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

I appreciate following-up on this query with your comments! If you observe similar behavior, I would suggest also providing us with the same settings I have mentioned in my message to Peter, so we can further investigate this behavior since it is hard for us to reproduce it on our end. If the nature of the app behavior is different, please start a new ticket, so we can differentiate between requests and investigation.

@Peter, I am passing your query further to our developer for further investigation. Once there is any update on this matter, he will get back to you on this matter.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 May, 2021 02:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac