Font weirdness in PF 10

nick

26 Mar, 2021 08:07 AM

Hi, I know that there are several issues with fonts in the View Options panel that have been mentioned elsewhere and appear top be unresolved:
• There is no way to revert to the San Francisco system font once another font has been selected • Many fonts appear in the fonts list but cannot be selected: PF defaults back to Helvetica.

Now something truly off the wall is occurring: I cannot enter lowercase f in filenames. Cap F no problem. I's not a keyboard problem: this happens only in PF, and only on my iMac running PF 10.0.3 (OS 10.14.6). It is not happening on my MacBook (10.15.7), but that may be because I never customised the font —and am reluctant to because I wouldn’t be able to revert. I am assuming it may have something to do with f being a common ligature component. It doesn't seem to be font-dependent: it is not cured if I revert the font from Lucida Grande to Helvetica.

On the subject of custom fonts, are they required to be a particular format: ttf or ttf-flavour otf for instance, not ps? I have not tested this extensively, but that may be what distinguishes those PF approves from those it does not. Surely it should accept any otf font? But it does not.

I have not tested these issues in earlier version of PF, but they were certainly not present in 7, which in my experience was the best and most stable of the lot. Is there any real prospect of these things being fixed?

1. nick closed this discussion on 26 Mar, 2021 08:08 AM.

2. nick re-opened this discussion on 26 Mar, 2021 08:08 AM

3. 1 Posted by nick on 30 Mar, 2021 03:41 PM

I am glad to say that the disabled f problem at least I have been able to solve, and PF was not the culprit: a rogue Keyboard Maestro hotkey was intercepting the key in PF only. (Goodness knows why this did not affect PF7.) Apologies for maligning you. The other issues remain however.

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Apr, 2021 01:08 PM

Hi Nick,

I appreciate the update!

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Apr, 2021 01:08 PM.

6. nick re-opened this discussion on 05 Apr, 2021 01:30 PM

7. 3 Posted by nick on 05 Apr, 2021 01:30 PM

Hi Mary,
    What procedure is it that you want to analyze? The impossible f problem was resolved, and the other font inconsistencies are well documented. I would still like to know whether there is a specific format limitation on fonts (and in fact sizes) that can/cannot be set in View Options.
    Thanks,
    Nick

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Apr, 2021 10:30 AM

Hi Nick,

I wanted to gather sample file for the font defaulting back to Helvetica since it is something I can't reproduce on my end. As for the fonts, you would need to add font to your user Library/Fonts to be able to use them in Path Finder. There are no particular requirements on this matter. 

You can set up any size of the font in your View Options (you can adjust sizing and fonts in general by navigating to View Options > click on System Font Regular > click on the three-dot button on the left side > Edit Sizes / Manage fonts.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Apr, 2021 10:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac