Cannot scroll left in Big Sur

Chris Malins

08 Feb, 2021 03:37 AM

Pathfinder version 10.0.2
macOS 11.2 (Big Sur)

In column view I cannot scroll left using the Apple mouse.

Horizontal scolling in finder works fine. Horizontal scrolling also works fine in Pathfinder on Catalina.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Support Staff 31 Posted by Dragan on 27 May, 2021 11:56 AM

Hi all,

I've made some changes to column view in version 10.0.4 (released on April 21), which were made to overcome changes Apple made to the columns view control API in Big Sur, and since then, I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. If you still have it, I would appreciate if you report the following in your configuration

• Path Finder version
    • macOS version
    • Apple Silicon or Intel Mac
    • if you have the issue with mouse/trackpad only, or with keyboard navigation as well
    • which mouse/trackpad you use when the issue happens

Sorry about the delay, I thought (and hoped) it was fixed with the 10.0.4 update.

2. 32 Posted by pbscottathome on 27 May, 2021 12:34 PM

The problem is very much unfixed. My config:
    Version 10.0.4 (2093)
    Big Sure 11.3.1 (20E241)
    Apple Silicon (M1 Mac mini)
    Problem is with Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. I can navigate left or right with keyboard keys

I also use a couple of intel laptops - MacBook Air (i7) and MacBook Pro (i5). Everything works just fine on these machines. So for me the problem only exists with the M1 (Silicon) Mac mini.

FYI - I am currently using ForkLift on the M1 MacMini and this is working just fine.

Let me know if you need anything more,

3. 33 Posted by Jules on 27 May, 2021 12:48 PM

Hey Dragan

Problem unchanged with 10.0.4 for me.

• Pathfinder 10.0.4 (2093)
    • macOS 11.4
    • Apple M1
    • Keyboard navigation unaffected, but that's not doing the same thing as scrolling left/left with the trackpad – I can also navigate by clicking folders with the trackpad
    • Magic Trackpad 2
  4. 34 Posted by RC on 27 May, 2021 04:24 PM

Problem persists for me too. Thanks for your attention to fixing.

Pathfinder 10.0.4 (2093)
    MacOS 11.4
    Apple M1
    mouse scrolling left does not work. navigating left on keyboard works
    Apple Magic Mouse

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2021 12:10 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2021 12:10 PM

7. 35 Posted by Eric on 15 Jun, 2021 02:08 AM

I also can't scroll left using a Logitech MX Pro mouse.

I can scroll left if the folder that was originally opened (for instance if it was selected from the sidebar) is the leftmost visible column (although it just bounces, because you can't go any farther left). That behavior stops as soon as the leftmost column goes under the sidebar.

8. Support Staff 36 Posted by Dragan on 16 Jun, 2021 04:11 PM

Hi again,

Once again, I apologise for taking this long to fix this issue. It was one of the weirdest bugs I've experienced, very hard to reproduce, and to make things even more weird, it could be reproduced only in deployment (ship to customer) build of the application, not in the debug build, which I usually use while working and fixing things.

Anyway, the good news is that I finally managed to figure out what was the collision between our custom changes to columns view UI control, and changes Apple made in Big Sur, which could cause this problem to happen.

The fix is available in the latest beta version 10.1b1. I'd still prefer to confirm with all of you that the issue is fixed, before releasing it officially. Hence I'd appreciate if you try the latest beta and let me know how it goes. It's completely safe for usage.

You can download the latest beta here, but you can also update your current copy to it automatically; just hold the alt/option key pressed while checking for updates and follow the standard update procedure onward.

Thanks for your patience and once again, apologies for taking it this long. Please let me know if you still have problems with horizontal scrolling in the columns view.

9. 37 Posted by Lutz on 16 Jun, 2021 04:54 PM

I am sorry, but "very hard to reproduce"? Really?
    Other apps like Forklift did not even have this issue and others, who had it fixed it in a very timely fashion (days NOT weeks).
    By the way: This issue was not a "hidden secret", even I read about it in many blogs before, and I am not an experienced software developer, for sure.
    Nevertheless, thanks for fixing it!

10. 38 Posted by ChrisC on 16 Jun, 2021 05:00 PM

The beta works! Finally!

It's crazy how one single thing that doesn't work can be so frustrating, render the whole app useless. So happy to see it's resolved. Thanks, Dragan!

11. Support Staff 39 Posted by Dragan on 16 Jun, 2021 05:07 PM

@Lutz, I don't really want to argue, so I'll just shorty comment and leave it at that…

Yes it was hard to reproduce, at least for me. Also, as I've mentioned, I couldn't reproduce it at all in the development build (used while debugging, setting break points in code etc…), so it made it even harder.

I don't know what others had or have, but they certainly don't have many features that we still try to maintain, despite Apple making it harder and harder to continue… For example, try with those others to see multiple color labels in the columns view, or set custom colors in the columns view, or alternate row colors in the columns view, or titled headers in the columns view… All these require custom overriding (and often plain hacking) of standard Cocoa UI controls, and that custom implementation collided with Apple's recent changes.
    I certainly have no interest in keeping "a simple bug" not being fixed for this long.
    Nevertheless, you're welcome. Have a nice day.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac