Tags/Labels still broken in Version 10.0.1

Till Salzer

25 Jan, 2021 04:04 PM

Hello,

Tags and labels are still broken in version 10.0.1, maybe more so now. I'm using both Apples "new" tags/labels (I refuse to melt down my brain by trying to find out what the difference between those is) and Pathfinders label implementation; I've got that there is some kind of bridge process between both, and it seems to be kind of broken on my system.

These problems came up in version 10, or at least it seems so to me:

• When I create a label in PF, it seems to be replicated to a Finder label, but PF does not have it in its dropdown list. The label is rendered correctly in the file list.
  • When I change a label, PF seems not to update it correctly. Example: I created a label some time ago in PF (some older version), updated the label in the finder to render in color, then started PF. It renders the color correctly, and I can use the colored version of the label, but whenever I change labels in the Tags module, that label jumps back to the un-colored old PF version.

This one is a problem for a while now:

• I still have no way to eliminate a label no longer needed. Example: I type in a label with a typo. Later, I find the typo, and fix it. However, I cannot remove the wrong label, it is forever there waiting for me to accidentally hit Enter while scrolling thru label names. The label does no longer exist in the Finder labels, no file uses it anymore. (This is mostly a case of "Bug: The Label Management functionality cannot be accessed".  )

I think, having GUI access to PFs label database, or it's view of how the labels should look like, could mitigate at least some problems here.

For me, the combination of easily accessing labels, file comments and ratings (only in PF!) of a file I can quickly open in quick view is the main reason to use PF. I found out the hard way that PF ratings are not easily accessible from outside, and having trouble with the tags or labels, specifically having tags and/or labels behaving different from what the rest of the system can see, really makes me unhappy. 路‍♂️

Cheers!

1. 1 Posted by JMichaelTX on 25 Jan, 2021 04:17 PM

I agree. PF tags need to seamlessly integrate with, and sync with, Finder tags.

2. 2 Posted by Till Salzer on 25 Jan, 2021 04:23 PM

(Off topic: Oh, and BTW: How emojies are rendered in Preview and on this site differs. Which is not cool, at all. :) Also, having to solve a Captcha so often is annoying, too. I clicked me thru a dozen or so between starting my first post and this second one. :) )

3. 3 Posted by Greg on 18 Jun, 2021 07:56 PM

In 10.0.4 (2093) removing unwanted tags now seems to be supported, because the very first tag I made had a typo and I was able to delete it.

But the larger issue is how Pathfinder Tags are completely different from and incompatible with Finder tags. Beyond that, Pathfinder seems unable to apply any but the default Finder tags.

In Finder preferences, I removed the default seven color tags from the favorites list and replaced them with new custom tags. Pathfinder is only able to see and apply Finder's seven default color tags, even after a quit/relaunch.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 20 Jul, 2021 04:28 PM

Hi, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

Can you please specify if the following issue still persists once you update your Path Finder 10 to the latest version available, e.g. 10.1.1?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2021 04:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac