[bug] blue tags don't work properly

BjarneDM

10 Jan, 2021 03:43 PM

If I "tag" a file with blue, I¨m unable to subsequently remove it. I have to do some Terminal-fu and use "xattr -d" to remove it again.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 Apr, 2021 10:40 AM

Hi, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, please accept my apologies for such a delayed response. I understand how frustrating it might be not to receive any response for such a long time. I apologize and will make sure this won’t happen again.

Can you please specify if the following issue still persists once you update your Path Finder 10 to the latest version available, e.g. 10.0.4?

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Apr, 2021 10:40 AM.

3. BjarneDM re-opened this discussion on 30 Apr, 2021 10:56 AM

4. 2 Posted by BjarneDM on 30 Apr, 2021 10:58 AM

still present in Version 10.0.4 (2093)
    in order to remove the blue tag, I've got to do both
    xattr -d com.apple.FinderInfo <file>
    xattr -d com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags <file>
    in Terminal

Thnis is what happens when I'm setting the red tag :
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bjarne staff 268526 30 Apr 12:49 jca88-Doxy_Show.jpeg com.apple.FinderInfo 32 com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 55 com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment 55

And then subsequently removes the red tag:
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bjarne staff 268526 30 Apr 12:49 jca88-Doxy_Show.jpeg com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 42 com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment 55

When setting the blue tag, I get:
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bjarne staff 268526 30 Apr 12:49 jca88-Doxy_Show.jpeg com.apple.FinderInfo 32 com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 57 com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment 55

and when trying to remove the blue tag, I get:
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 bjarne staff 268526 30 Apr 12:49 jca88-Doxy_Show.jpeg com.apple.FinderInfo 32 com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags 57 com.apple.metadata:kMDItemFinderComment 55

So, when trying to remove the blue tag, the two xattr settings don't get modified.

Additionally, even when the blue tag is set, this isn't reflected in the UI (see screenshot)

5. 3 Posted by BjarneDM on 30 Apr, 2021 11:27 AM

screenshot of blue tag indicator missing in UI

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Sep, 2021 09:26 AM.

7. BjarneDM re-opened this discussion on 30 Sep, 2021 02:16 PM

8. 4 Posted by BjarneDM on 30 Sep, 2021 02:17 PM

this issue hasn't been resolved in 10.2

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dragan on 12 Apr, 2022 09:23 AM

Hi Bjarne,

I sincerely apologise for such delayed response, I was browsing through old issues and only now this has come to my intention. Sorry about that…

Do you still have this problem? I must admit it's rather strange that it happens only with the BLUE tag, since the code works exactly the same with all tags, so I don't understand why the blue one would be a problem. I can't reproduce it either…

If you still have this problem, once you add a blue tag to a file using Path Finder, can you remove it using Finder (not terminal)? Do you have that problem with all files, or only some? Does that depend on the disk/volume where files are located?

Thanks for your understanding, support and patience.

Best,
    -- Dragan

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac