PF 10 not updating change to the file system unless a forced reload

Derek Vincent

05 Jan, 2021 12:36 PM

I have noticed a problem since I updated to 10 (currently 10.0.1) that file system changes (new files, file moves, file renames) are not detected and reflected in the file system view unless I reload or move away from the displayed folder and back.

I have attached screenshots of creating a new file but it also happens on file moves and renames.

Cheers,
Derek

1. 1 Posted by tosbsas on 06 Jan, 2021 02:59 PM

same happens here and reload is not working

2. 2 Posted by tosbsas on 12 Jan, 2021 01:42 AM

news?

3. 3 Posted by hamforth on 29 Jan, 2021 11:14 AM

Same here...
    No copy/paste/move or other writes are refreshed / reloaded automatically in PF folders. Apple Finder if fine.
    Pain in the butt, please fix

PF 10.0.1
    Big Sur 11.1
    SSD format AFPS

4. 4 Posted by tosbsas on 29 Jan, 2021 02:29 PM

it is - they asked me to do this

May I ask you to follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists:

Delete Path Finder and its traces via AppCleaner
    Download the latest version of the app from our site
    Launch Path Finder and move it to the Apps folder as the app suggests
    Please note that the uninstallation disregards all preferences you have set on your end. If you’d like to save them, make sure to navigate to the following path and copy both preference file and folder to the safe location.

~/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder) ~/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list)

Once you re-install your app, replace the new files in the same location, with a previously saved files.

In the meantime, I am passing your query to our developer for further investigation.

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

5. 5 Posted by hamforth on 29 Jan, 2021 05:00 PM

Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

I have done as per your email exactly as specified. AppCleaner, fresh DL, and even with fresh preferences (my own not reinstated) the same problem persists. Please do pass this to the developer, as this lack of auto refresh/reload makes PF very limited as a Finder.

Kind regards
    hamforth

6. 6 Posted by tosbsas on 29 Jan, 2021 07:03 PM

thanks for trying

I an Still at it.

7. 7 Posted by hamforth on 29 Jan, 2021 07:57 PM

I also notice that anything trashed on APFS SSD volumes other than the start-up volume does not show in the respective PF view of the trash and cannot be emptied, but when viewed in Apple Finder the files are actually present and can be emptied. In other words, only the trash/bin on the start-up volume is showing it’s contents in PF.

8. 8 Posted by tosbsas on 30 Jan, 2021 01:08 AM

do you guys see that in several folders or just in one. I started to see it in "downloads"

9. 9 Posted by tosbsas on 30 Jan, 2021 11:09 AM

I tried the solution- its not working. After restarting PF its ok for a while but After several times of “Standby” of the machine its back. And reload does Not do anything. Only Solution - quit TF and restart it. A mess

10. 10 Posted by hamforth on 30 Jan, 2021 11:20 AM

Yes PF with this issue is of little use as a Finder app. Are you in touch with the developer tobsas?

11. 11 Posted by tosbsas on 30 Jan, 2021 03:12 PM

I wrote in the beta forum - but dunno if he reads it. Support has always been a not very fun experience

12. 12 Posted by Fletcher Moore on 01 Feb, 2021 04:06 PM

Noticed this a couple days ago and it recurred this morning. Made two new folders and they don't show up in the file list. It's easily reproduced: I went to the Desktop folder, made a new folder "test," and it doesn't show up. The only way I can get it to show the new folders is to quit and restart PF.

13. 13 Posted by tosbsas on 01 Feb, 2021 04:44 PM

could you test if its happening more often when you had some standby's before. After fresh restart PF is working better.

Seems to effect even more system owned folders like desktop or downloads

14. 14 Posted by seb.beyer on 03 Feb, 2021 09:24 AM

For me this is happening too and the only way to update PF is to close and restart. I mostly move files on my external ExtFAT drive so I see it there most of the time.

15. 15 Posted by Clemens on 03 Feb, 2021 11:18 AM

I have the same problem on PF Version 9.4.
    Only change i made recently was eliminating the annoying "please try PF10"-message...

Makes the software unusable. Please fix immediately.

16. 16 Posted by tosbsas on 03 Feb, 2021 05:00 PM

Still wondering how support is not answering our complaint. I posted in the beta forum too, but that might be closed internally

17. 17 Posted by Con on 04 Feb, 2021 01:33 AM

I am having the same problem. Started in PF8 a few weeks after upgrade to Big Sur. Persistent through BigSur 11.1 and 11.2 Upgraded PF to 10. Still not showing several folders and many files. They are listed in Finder, but not PF.

Please fix.

18. 18 Posted by tosbsas on 04 Feb, 2021 08:13 PM

No change in 10.0.2 - this HAS to be fixed. Its a joke a file manager that shows files that are not there anymore o doesn't show the ones that are there.

I believe that there is a problem with reload when coming out of standby the machine. I do see this always after several standby's. With a freshly started PF it doesn't happen.

19. 19 Posted by hamforth on 04 Feb, 2021 10:05 PM

Don’t know what you mean by the standby part - I quit PF and reopen, the problem still occurs on the next change made. Only a forced reload shows the changes.

20. 20 Posted by tosbsas on 04 Feb, 2021 10:42 PM

hahah, here reload is not working, when I restart PF I get all the files

Standby - when you close the lid on your Macbook

21. 21 Posted by tosbsas on 12 Feb, 2021 01:30 PM

this appears to be the Bermuda Triangle :-((

No answers from support

22. 22 Posted by letterknecht on 14 Feb, 2021 11:49 AM

Same here or even stranger. Since 10.0 up to newest version.
    Only a restart of PF helps.

23. 23 Posted by tosbsas on 14 Feb, 2021 10:28 PM

and still no answer from support apart from asking for new data

24. 24 Posted by hamforth on 15 Feb, 2021 01:26 PM

Just throwing it out there - is there anyone who is experiencing this who has a NEW/recent 10.0 licence? Because I have a licence extension carried over from V9 until August - anyone else on a licence extension? Could it be that not working properly? Very loose idea I know.

25. 25 Posted by Fletcher Moore on 15 Feb, 2021 01:55 PM

I've only had my license for a month or so.

26. 26 Posted by tosbsas on 15 Feb, 2021 05:45 PM

I carried over, but did a complete reinstall of system and PF

27. Support Staff 27 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Feb, 2021 10:48 AM

Hi everyone,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

Thanks for reporting this! I have notified our developer about this occurrence. In the meantime, could you please share with us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Additionally, please describe the steps you've done and the outcome you've received.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

28. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Feb, 2021 10:48 AM.

29. tosbsas re-opened this discussion on 19 Feb, 2021 01:52 AM

30. 28 Posted by tosbsas on 19 Feb, 2021 01:52 AM

again? Feels a little bit like a joke - have sent you two already

https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/178490-folders-n...

31. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2021 12:48 PM.

32. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2021 12:49 PM

33. Support Staff 29 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 Feb, 2021 12:49 PM

Hi @tobsas,

The following message was directed to other users having the same issue on their end. If we have more samples of the issue, it would be of a great help to our developer when investigating. 

Best Regards,

Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

34. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2021 12:49 PM.

35. Laurence Baxter re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2021 03:42 PM

36. 30 Posted by Laurence Baxter on 23 Feb, 2021 03:42 PM

Issue reproduced easily twice (it is consistent and persisting). Text file copied to another volume, then doesn’t show up until manually refreshed. It is the same with other volumes. Apple Finder does not reproduce the same issue in any circumstances. Sample here.

On 18/02/2021, at 10:48, Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Issue with Pathfinder 10 not updating change to the file system unless a forced reload

Hi everyone,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

Thanks for reporting this! I have notified our developer about this occurrence. In the meantime, could you please share with us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Additionally, please describe the steps you've done and the outcome you've received.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/179489-issue-with-pathfinder-10-not-updating-change-to-the-file-system-unless-a-forced-reload

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• pathfind_issue.docx 227 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac