Crashes, Hangs and excessive CPU.

Ron

22 Oct, 2020 07:02 PM

I really love the idea of Path Finder. I want to use it as my Finder replacement, but unfortunately it isn't stable enough.

I often find the CPU use at 100% with my fans blazing away. I kill Path Finder and everything returns to normal. Most of the time Path Finder runs at 4% CPU, but at least once a day it's gone nuts. I can't figure out what it's doing.

Path Finder also has a bad habit of hanging (beach ball). I am have to Force Quit. I don't know why. It just happens once every few days when it gains focus.

There is so much to love about Path Finder, but it's lack of stability means I end of ditching it every few months.

Please please please address these issues.

I am running 9.4 (2057) on OS 10.14.6

1. 1 Posted by JMichaelTX on 22 Oct, 2020 08:39 PM

I see this same behavior running Path Finder 9.4 (2057) on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Oct, 2020 08:16 AM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Oct, 2020 08:17 AM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 Oct, 2020 08:17 AM

Hi everyone, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, thanks for reporting such issue!

Sometimes, however, isolated cases of high CPU usage occur, but it can easily be lowered.

In this case, make sure to follow the suggestions to reduce the CPU usage:
    1) Choose any .txt file, open Preview module preferences (gear button next to its header) and uncheck "Colorize syntax".
    2) Restore defaults for View Settings (CMD+J). Make sure to have "Calculate all sizes" unchecked here. 

If these instructions do not help and CPU remains high, make sure to send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file and describe the exact actions to reproduce to achieve this behavior. This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:
    1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Oct, 2020 08:17 AM.

6. Ron re-opened this discussion on 24 Oct, 2020 10:00 PM

7. 3 Posted by Ron on 24 Oct, 2020 10:00 PM

I've had no crashes or hangs since I shut off calculate folder size.

But... you really need a system wide toggle for that. I shut it off using "All Windows", but I'm still finding it set all over the place. I just want it off off off. Please add a system wide toggle for this so we don't have to go into every folder and make sure it's off. It should be in "General Prefs", probably under Finder.

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 Oct, 2020 07:33 AM

Hi Ron,

I appreciate the update!

I will pass your feedback to our developer, so he can consider developing this further down the road.

Should you have anything else you’d like to address, do not hesitate to let us know!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Oct, 2020 07:33 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac