Oh no - selecting files is different in PF6

Kristian

24 Apr, 2012 02:30 PM

One of the best features in PF5 was the ability to drag-select files where PF would only select the files that were touched by the drag and not everything in between - e.g. selecting files with long names. An example:

file1isverylong
file2isverylong
file3
file4isverylong

In PF5 when in column view I could drag select files 1,2 and 4 by dragging over the 'long' part of the file name - in PF6 if I do this, file 3 is also selected (default Finder behavior). Any chance you could please get this feature back - I really miss it A LOT!

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by attyinfo on 02 May, 2012 03:02 AM

Try selecting with the "command key"+ click for discontignuous selections.

2. Brennan closed this discussion on 02 May, 2012 05:31 AM.

3. Kristian re-opened this discussion on 02 May, 2012 12:03 PM

4. 2 Posted by Kristian on 02 May, 2012 12:03 PM

Yup, I'm aware of the 'click to select' with the command key feature - what I am after is the 'drag to select' feature that used to work in old versions of PF. I really miss this feature.....

5. 3 Posted by chris on 02 May, 2012 01:23 PM

This is a key feature for me as well. I use it many times a day.

Whatever magic the PF 5 developers used to enable selection of files by dragging only over their names (and not the space to their right), needs to be put into 6.1.

6. 4 Posted by kk on 02 May, 2012 01:49 PM

FWIW the drag-select behavior you're referring to still works in list view, so it looks like it's only column view when it's been removed.

7. 5 Posted by Kristian on 02 May, 2012 01:58 PM

Ah, if it works in list view, the functionality must still be there (I never use list view...) and it was probably accidentally removed from pf6. Devs can we please get this feature implemented (back) in column view as well?

Thanks

8. 6 Posted by chris on 03 May, 2012 01:48 AM

Yay, thanks, Kristian and kk for the good news & reasoning. Developers, I'm so sorry you're having issues with column view. Those of us who pray will be praying for you to figure out the cause of the puzzling problems!
    Don't give up :-)

9. Brennan closed this discussion on 03 May, 2012 02:36 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac