Constant high CPU usage (90-100%) when PathFinder is idle. PathFinder 9.4 on macOS 10.14.6

TheBloke

13 Oct, 2020 08:43 PM

Hi

PathFinder: 9.4
macOS: 10.14.6

Recently I've noticed a regular problem of PathFinder using 90-100% CPU (ie up to one full core) when it's sitting there idle. I have multiple monitors and I often have PathFinder visible on one monitor while I'm doing other tasks. But I'm not interacting with it in any way, and it's not been left in a situation where it could be expected to use CPU (ie there's not lots of CoverFlow previews visible or anything like that).

When this starts happening it seems to continue indefinitely, until I close it and restart it. The problem then goes away for a while, and then at some point I notice it again.

It's happening right now, so I thought I would report it. I've taken two Sample dumps of it during the current high CPU usage, which I hope is sufficient for your devs to diagnose the problem.

Please let me know if additional information or diagnostic data is needed.

Many thanks

Tom

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 Oct, 2020 06:40 AM

Hi Tom, 

Mary from Path Finder support here!

First of all, thanks for reporting such issue!

In this case, can you please try to follow the suggestions to reduce the CPU usage:
    1) Choose any .txt file, open Preview module preferences (gear button next to its header) and uncheck "Colorize syntax". 
    2) Restore defaults for View Settings (CMD+J). Make sure to have "Calculate all sizes" unchecked here. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let me know how it goes!

Best Regards,
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Oct, 2020 06:40 AM.

3. TheBloke re-opened this discussion on 16 Oct, 2020 09:04 AM

4. 2 Posted by TheBloke on 16 Oct, 2020 09:04 AM

Hi Mary

Thanks for your response.

I already had "Calculate all sizes" disabled, and I did not have the Preview window visible. Nonetheless I have temporarily activated Preview so I can disable Colorize Syntax, then hid Preview again as I don't use it. I hit space to preview files when I want to see them.

Attached is a screenshot of my standard Path Finder layout.

The problem has now occurred again, so I've also attached another sample capture. I'd had PathFinder running for 24 hours or so without issue, then over the last hour I've been using it to go through various folders to find and delete old files. Old documents, screenshots, etc. After I finished this process I noticed that it was once again stuck at 90+% CPU even though it was now idle.

Tom

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 16 Oct, 2020 09:32 AM

Hi Tom, 

Thank you for the sample and clarification! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2020 09:32 AM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 16 Oct, 2020 09:44 AM

8. 4 Posted by vincent.boudry on 16 Oct, 2020 12:43 PM

I have had this problem for years...
    The only way I found (past the standard «high CPU» response) is to close all the PF windows, and restart it.

Would be nice to have fixed once and for all.

Vincent Boudry.

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Oct, 2020 09:20 AM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Oct, 2020 09:22 AM

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2020 10:17 AM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Oct, 2020 10:17 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• PathFinder.9.4.HighCPUWhenIdle.macOS.10.14.6.sample.txt 459 KB
  • PathFinder.9.4.HighCPUWhenIdle.macOS.10.14.6.sample2.txt 458 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac