Path Finder Crashes with Collapse Stack turned off

jnsrro

28 Aug, 2020 07:58 PM

There is a bug that randomly forgets the "Collapse When Emptied" box is checked in the drop stack module on the sidebar. Sometimes it saves the setting. Other times, especially on restart, it will collapse when emptied--even when the browser window is saved as a new browser window with the setting unchecked.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 29 Aug, 2020 09:30 AM

Hi Jon,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

Can you please try to quit your Drop stack module and re-add it by navigating to Window > Modules > drag-and-drop it to the desired location > check the option "Collapse when emptied", restart your computer and test it once again?

Please note that Save Browser feature does not save the configurations of your modules, but only tabs opened at the moment of your saving being created, therefore, it should not "remember" the configuration during this workflow.

Should you have anything else you'd like to address, please feel free to write us back, and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Aug, 2020 09:30 AM.

3. jnsrro re-opened this discussion on 29 Aug, 2020 07:52 PM

4. 2 Posted by jnsrro on 29 Aug, 2020 07:52 PM

Thanks Mary! I've tried to quit the module and re-add it, then restarting. The setting usually disappears after restarting. Could I submit a request to save modules configurations? I think even if the settings could be loaded/saved to a text file that would be great! Otherwise anytime a setting or module disappears, I have to manually drag each module and load each individual module's appearance settings. Thanks for your help!

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 31 Aug, 2020 08:26 AM

Hi there,

Have it disappeared after the restart once again? In this case, we would need to submit a sample to our developer for further investigation.

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it: 

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.

2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder. 

3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field. 

4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected. 

5. Click Save and save the sample file. 

6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2. 

7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us. 

You can save your Drop Stack configurations by clicking on the cogwheel at the top of your module > click on Settings > Save.

Additionally, you can save your preference file which should have your saved settings. It can be found within the following location: 

~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder) ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list) 

If the next loss occurs, you would be able to restore it within the following location by copying the folder with the preference file to the corresponding place.

Let me know should you have any other questions!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Aug, 2020 08:26 AM.

7. jnsrro re-opened this discussion on 24 Sep, 2020 04:29 PM

8. 4 Posted by jnsrro on 24 Sep, 2020 04:29 PM

Thanks Mary, that does seem like a lot of work! I know it can help debug, but it is just a small nuisance. However, lately, it does seem to crash pathfinder often. I keep seeing the following error:

Exception Name: NSUncaughtSystemExceptionException
    Description: Uncaught system exception: signal 11

Reading further it seems to mention collapsing menus and finder errors in the full details.

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 25 Sep, 2020 09:09 AM

Hi Jon,

Can you please share with us an error report you get if it occurs the next time? A sample file and/or an error report would be more than appreciated, so we can move forward with the investigation.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Sep, 2020 09:09 AM.

11. jnsrro re-opened this discussion on 25 Sep, 2020 11:55 PM

12. 6 Posted by jnsrro on 25 Sep, 2020 11:55 PM

Sure, I can paste the error here, I just put x's over some of the keys

Exception Name: NSUncaughtSystemExceptionException
    Description: Uncaught system exception: signal 11
    User Info: {
    NSStackTraceKey = "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"; }

0 CoreFoundation 0x0000xxxxxxxxxx __exceptionPreprocess + 250
    1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx objc_exception_throw + 48
    2 CoreFoundation 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx -[NSException raise] + 9
    3 ExceptionHandling 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx NSExceptionHandlerUncaughtSignalHandler + 35
    4 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x0000xxxxxxxxxx _sigtramp + 29
    5 ??? 0x0000000000000000 0x0 + 0
    6 Path Finder 0x0000000xxxxxxxxxx Path Finder + 834638
    7 Foundation 0x00007xxxxxxxxxxNSKVODeallocate + 172
    8 AppKit 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx-[NSWindow _dealloc] + 76
    9 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx _ZN19AutoreleasePoolPage12releaseUntilEPP11objc_object + 134
    10 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx objc_autoreleasePoolPop + 175
    11 CoreFoundation 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx _CFAutoreleasePoolPop + 22
    12 Foundation 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx -[NSAutoreleasePool drain] + 126
    13 AppKit 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx -[NSApplication run] + 758
    14 AppKit 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx NSApplicationMain + 777
    15 libdyld.dylib 0x00007xxxxxxxxxx start + 1
    16 ??? 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 Sep, 2020 09:27 AM

Hi Jon,

Would you mind also providing us with a sample file as per the instructions above? Additionally, specify your macOS and PF version you use, so we can specify these details in our escalation as well.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2020 09:27 AM.

15. jnsrro re-opened this discussion on 26 Sep, 2020 08:37 PM

16. 8 Posted by jnsrro on 26 Sep, 2020 08:37 PM

Hi Mary, I just sent my prefrence files and the sample during the crash in private message. Thank you!

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Oct, 2020 11:49 AM.

18. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 Oct, 2020 11:50 AM

19. 9 Posted by jnsrro on 01 Oct, 2020 02:08 PM

Thanks! I received your message. For now, I had to completely remove and uninstall Path Finder and reinstall to resolve the issue. It began to use 100% CPU in the background and not using any custom UI color/font settings helped resolve freezing. Running on the latest 16” Macbook Pro Catalina

20. Support Staff 10 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 02 Oct, 2020 07:01 AM

Hi Jon,

I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced.

We're looking into the case you have reported. Once there is any update on this matter, we will let you know asap!

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Oct, 2020 07:01 AM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Oct, 2020 07:03 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac