Favorites Disappear

dmastbaum

28 Jul, 2020 03:06 PM

Pathfinder is crashing at least once a week. When that happens, all of my favorites are gone. What can I do to backup my favorites. All of the other threads on this are closed.

1. 1 Posted by tosbsas on 29 Jul, 2020 04:05 AM

doesn't crash here but closing and opening it again favorites are gone. Adding any folder to non existing favorites brings them all back

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2020 09:24 AM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2020 09:26 AM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 31 Jul, 2020 09:26 AM

Hi there,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

I apologize for the inconveniences you’ve had. The issue of loss of Favorites is already reported to our developer, and we’ll make sure to address it in the next releases.

In the meantime, we would highly suggest saving your modules settings. You can do so by clicking on cogwheel of Sidebar > clicking on Settings drop-down button at the bottom > Save.

Then, copying your preferences folder and the file within it to your Desktop, for example.

~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder) ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list) 

If the next loss occurs, you would be able to restore it within the following location by copying the folder with the preference file to the corresponding place.

In the meantime, could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it: 

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.

2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder. 

3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field. 

4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected. 

5. Click Save and save the sample file. 

6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2. 

7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Let me know should you have any other questions!

Best Regards,
    Mary 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2020 09:26 AM.

6. dmastbaum re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2020 08:38 PM

7. 3 Posted by dmastbaum on 31 Jul, 2020 08:38 PM

Mary,

Thanks for your response and for taking a look at this problem. Attached are 2 files from Activity Monitor.
    Sample of Path Finder_200731_Favs-Good.txt
    Sample of Path Finder_Crashed_Favorites-Gone.txt

Pretty self-explanetory.

I did use the save function and when it crashed right now, I just clicked on the saved version and all my favorites came back. I did not have to copy back the backup of the ~/Library files.

Thanks,

David

On 7/31/20, 2:26 AM, "Path Finder Support Team" <[email blocked]> wrote:

Subject: Favorites Disappear

Hi there,

Mary from Path Finder support here!

I apologize for the inconveniences you’ve had. The issue of loss of Favorites is already reported to our developer, and we’ll make sure to address it in the next releases.

In the meantime, we would highly suggest saving your modules settings. You can do so by clicking on cogwheel of Sidebar > clicking on Settings drop-down button at the bottom > Save.

Then, copying your preferences folder and the file within it to your Desktop, for example.

~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings (folder)
        ~/Library/Preferences/com.cocoatech.PathFinder.plist (list)

If the next loss occurs, you would be able to restore it within the following location by copying the folder with the preference file to the corresponding place.

In the meantime, could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file? This will enable us to analyze what happens with the application.

Here's how to get it:

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem. If the problem is dynamic (e.g. unexpected action result), please try reproducing it during the sample collection.

2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.

3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.

4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.

5. Click Save and save the sample file.

6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.

7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Let me know should you have any other questions!

Best Regards,
        Mary
        Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/170542-favorites-disappear

---

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://support.cocoatech.com, visit https://support.cocoatech.com/unsubscribe/63bfc071cb87bd6b1f39aa95305725847b11ebab

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Aug, 2020 08:31 AM

Hi David, 

Thank you for the samples! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should any additional questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Mary
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Aug, 2020 08:31 AM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2020 06:29 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac